Flashing around a sky light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
upload_2020-9-27_8-47-22.png

I've got a leaky roof light, I can't climb onto the roof and take a really close look 'cos I think the roof will collapse under my weight, this picture shows it quite well.

I'm guessing the flashing needs to be replaced.

Is it easy to pull up the existing flashing and replace with something else?

My questions are;

- should I pull up, scrape up the existing?
- what product is good to use, flashing tape, or lead?
- or am I completely wrong with my diagnosis?

Thank you very much in advance for any help.

Don't worry, if I decide to tackle the job myself I'll arrange some safe access.

Sponsored Links
The tape, around what looks like - the edge of a sheet of glass looks so very, very strange. I would expect rain to gain access via running around the edge of that glass. The flashing also looks very poor too, maybe glass fibre matting stuck on. All very amateur looking, I would be inclined to get a roofer to quote on fitting a proper Velux

Thanks for your reply Harry.

I just don't have the money at the moment I just need to make the best repair I can myself. I don't mind spending the money on some decent materials.

I just don't have the money at the moment I just need to make the best repair I can myself.

Looking at it, I doubt any worthwhile repair can be done. See if you can get a reputable roofer to give a free quote on replacing it with a proper Velux. What is the window for - too provide some light in a loft space? The cheaper option, might be to restore the window back to a tiled roof, if the tiles can be sourced.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Harry, it’s in our utility room.

I can’t afford a roofer at the minute, aren’t there any flashing tapes, or even run some lead round that would do something temporary?

Can you get some pictures of the top row of tiles? The one top left ish looks broken?

looks like a sheet of polycarbonate stuck over an existing hole.
flash band flashings are poor and incomplete.
First thing i would consider as you are on a budget would be get a length of plastic corner trim 50 x 50 mm cut a piece for each side and for the top edge then stick it on with something good like ct1 or the like
that will form a drip edge cheaply.. then see how it goes

Sounds good. You say put it along the top and two sides, not along the bottom too?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back