Leaky leaky down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, this is my first post!
I’ve read a lot on here and I must say, its an excellent site so thanks to you all,

My problem is this,

There is water coming in the kitchen roof at a section of flashing that is against a side wall,
Have checked the flashing and no obvious signs of damage or peeling
However, whilst checking, my dad broke a slate as the roof was flexing,

Since then I have been stripping out the kitchen and have gained access to the underside of the leaky roof,

I’ve found the laths have rotted at the ends beneath the flashing,

I can’t take the whole roof up so am planning on repairing the rotted lath sections, and fixing the broken slate,

Should I remove and replace the flashing? as I think it will have to come up to get nails out?

Rain from the main roof comes down from a gutter onto this flashing too via a downcomer
I intend to put an elbow onto downcomer and come across flashing and into the kitchen gutter to help the situation,

thanks for any help,

Attachments

• FA970672-179A-4D5B-A91F-76855BB87CA4.jpeg
    FA970672-179A-4D5B-A91F-76855BB87CA4.jpeg
    327.6 KB · Views: 252
  • 56F2658A-2ECE-4010-BB86-A9145B876E90.jpeg
    56F2658A-2ECE-4010-BB86-A9145B876E90.jpeg
    280.8 KB · Views: 262
Sponsored Links
i'm not sure of what i'm looking at but fwiw:
the rafters appear to be simply sitting in the web of a RSJ? no fixings are shown?
the flashing against the abutment is wrong.
there's no underfelt/underlay.

photos of whats rotting, and a photo in daylight showing the whole roof would help?

Yes bobasd,

The rafters are sitting the web of the rsj, they used to be the flat roof,
What you can see in pic 1 is where
I have pulled the under felt away and pulled off a couple of the cross laths,
So that picture is looking up into roof space, and flashing would be directly to the left,

second pic was just a quick pic for guidance but will get better ones tomorrow like you say
I don’t know if there is more flashing beneath what is visable but it certainly doesn’t look like a proper job

ref the flashing: each slate should have an individual soaker, and the cover flashing should be bedded & sealed into a cut channel or stepped up the abutment in the brick mortar beds.
cover flashing lengths are best at max 1500mm.
there wont be anything below your cover flashing.

Sponsored Links
Thats not flashing, its stuck on pretend flashing called "Flashband". Real flashing is chased into the wall, and has additional lead under each slate and is fitted different to that in the photos - called soakers.

From the internet, soakers ...
abutment2.jpg

Then cut in some lead flashing

lead-flashing-code-thickness-roofing-supplies-roofinglines-3.jpg

Blimey, there’s no sign of these soakers anywhere,
Looks like it has to come up then eh,
Could I chase a straight line in the wall instead of stepping or is that a no no?
Will get more pics soon, thanks for the help fellas you’re legends

Could I chase a straight line in the wall instead of stepping or is that a no no

Yes you can chase in a straight line -ask a conservatory installer :ROFLMAO:

a straight cut works fine as far as weathering goes.
A pro builder, roofer, architect etc might shudder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back