Leaky roof/Lead flashing advice please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I would be grateful if somebody could offer some advice please?

I recently installed a new lightweight roof on my extension using a metal tile system. I have put lead flashing down either side of the roof and attempted to shape the flashing to the profile of the tile (as per the tile manufacturer’s advice). During the recent high winds I had a leak down the side of one of the internal walls. Luckily I’ve been too busy to start on the internal roof so no damage was done. It is a very low pitched roof and although I’ve shaped the flashing the best I can, I think that there are enough gaps for rain to be blown under the flashing during high winds. The roof is fine when raining heavily and no wind.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I might be able to stop rain getting under the flashings please? I don’t think that I can shape the lead close enough to the profile to solve the problem.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
A few tubes of Roofmate or silicone.

You don't necessarily need to stick the lead down, but rather form a barrier to any driven rain within the small gap.

But with a dresser or a suitablly shaped timber, you should be albe to batter the lead down close on the surface of the roof and to the same tile profile.

Are you sure tha the lead has enough cove over the roof,and is the correct code - ie thickness?

Thanks for your reply.

I used 150mm code 4 lead.

I assumed that silicone would be a solution but I didn't know if that would be frowned upon. Glad that it's a option.

I could probably dress the lead a little better but maybe not enough to stop water getting under. The tiles are made of thin metal so excessive banging may cause them to deform.

Things being laid at low pitches generally need more skill/ craft than
the average guy.

Sponsored Links
as datarebel says if the tiles are something like Decra, then they should be bent up at the abutment

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back