How to refit a flashing strip, restricted access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking to refit a flashing strip at the back of a conservatory roof. I cant get up on this roof as its not strong enough and there is no room to one side due to neighbours conservatory being there. So I was hoping I could use a grab tool to hold one end of the flashing and poistion it in place whilst I have someone up a ladder holding the other end on the side of the conservatory that can be accessed. Then stick it in place by pushing it with a batten of some sort. Anyone know if this tool exists or have any ideas on how I could replace this flashing strip?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There’s no tool I’m aware of, safest way is to hire scaffold, it’s expensive relative to the job but still potentiallly cheaper than paying an for installer or even a new conservatory

Blup

You need to get up there, no other option.

Why wont it be strong enough?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies guys. I think im going to do as woody suggested and prop the underside with acrow props or beams of wood and then have a couple of ply wood sheets up top to use as ducks boards. If the roof breaks then i'll just have to order some more polycarb sheets and redo the whole thing.

The guy who built the thing cut a huge notch out of the roof beams where it meets the wall plate so its only got about 2cm max of wood supporting the roof accross 5 beams. I could add some joist hangers temporarily I guess or add them permanently and disguise them somehow. If I get a chance I'll take a pic and upload it.

I used a sheet of osb cut to fit across roof ribs, fitted non slip carpet underlay to underside which made it stick and tied a rope to top end and threw over roof and tied off to keep board in place , screwed ribs of timber to top surface to give me purchase and prevent me sliding down board.Used this several times to access roof and held my 16 stone easily .

Heres some pics of the situation. Seems its already cracked so I doubt would take my weight even if I duckboarded it. If I do get up there i'll prop the underneath as Woody suggested. Seems by repairing the old flashing strip by hanging out the upstairs bedroom window seems to have stopped the leak for now.

Attachments

• 20180628_190013.jpg
    20180628_190013.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 281
  • 20180628_190025.jpg
    20180628_190025.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 249

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back