Flashing bulb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Bulb on my landing,a Phillips 16w fluorescent type (not the folded tube type,a bulb shape),is flashing very dimly every few seconds when in the off state, I noticed it just now when I got up for a wander (as you do!)
The light has been turned off for some 3 hours.
Any suggestions,a leak of some sort? No other light,including the hall light shows this behaviour.

eddie

(no more cheese before bed for me!)

Sponsored Links
cack, your bulb is still the folded tube type, its just enclosed in a glass/plastic cover.

Our does exactly the same. Something to do with capacitance between the 2-way switch wires. It happens when theres a long run of cable between the 2 switches - one of the wires is live, the other isn't, the cable acts like a capacitor.

You notice it with fluorescents because they flicker (spark across slightly) when the voltage is high enough, whereas tungsten lamps pass the current straight through without emitting any light.

Thanks for the answer folks,understood. I was thinking of RF interference etc.!

Funny thing is, when the light has been left on for some time,as we do when going out in the evenings/work etc. The flashing is even more pronounced ( when turned off). Possibly because the gasses have been vaporised (?) making the bulb more sensative to capacative effects?

Bloody weird stuff this lektrick. :confused:

Eddie

Sponsored Links
Is it possible your Phase & neutral are transposed?
If so that`s a potentially dangerous fault.
Better check it

the bulbs still warm. this makes it easier to spark across? just a suggestion. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back