Flashing on chimey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok I live in a terraced Victorian house with slate tiles. About 15 years ago the whole of the three houses had their tiles lifted off and refelted by a reputable company. My neighbour has complained of getting water in his loft round his chimney if the winds in a certain direction.
He got a national firm to have a look and they have said the flashing round his and my chimneys have been put onto the tiles instead of under?
Now I know I have a tile slipped and want that sorted asap but they quoted £600 for taking off the slate tiles around his chimney and replacing them with the flashing replaced correctly??
I know they can get to it without scaffolding so off a ladder but seems a little excessive?
I have 3 chimneys so £1800 ain't gonna work for me!
I don't mind heights but without the proper gear I don't feel uP to the job.
Any thoughts on what they've said and price please?
I thought flashing went on the tiles how do you stop water going under the flashing onto the felt? Confused!
Dave

Sponsored Links
Dave
£600 does seem a little steep per chimney, but I'm guessing they must have included for either a tower scaffold at eaves level or a chimney scaffold which 'cradles' the ridge, in which case I don't think it too unreasonable.

It would be a legal requirement to use a scaffold in this situation, as its more than just an emergency repair, so you would be taking a chance in asking someone to do it without, as their safety on your property will ultimately be your responsibility!

If lead soakers have not been correctly installed with the slating process in the first place, then the slating from around the stack would need to be taken up so these can be installed individually on each slate as the slates are laid up against the abutment, just putting a lead flashing over them would never be sufficient.
Regards
Jon
Jon

Sponsored Links
The flashing may be over the slate but does not mean there are no soakers, which are a must with slate and all double lap materials .

Check out a lead site like calders and you might get to understand how this works...

Get some more prices to compare but with scaffold lead labour etc etc does not sound bad o me..

(also it might be one massive stack!!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back