Flashing question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm embarking on the installation of a DIY conservatory which comes with stick on flashing but also says you are advised to use lead flashing for long life.

What it doesn't tell you is what grade of lead for a lean-to 3m wide with 35mm polycarbonate roof, also how high above the wall plate should the flashing be fixed into the wall, and how far should it extend over the roof?

I'd also welcome any advice on shaping the flashing as it seems to me that there is little room for negotiation when it comes to bashing lead over polycarbonate!

Sponsored Links
Code 4 blue 9" should be enough, use a piece of wood to boss the lead in place.

Sponsored Links
You should allow for 150mm over the roof to prevent blown under rain, and at least 100mm up the wall or the nearest joint above that

You can get alternative lead flashing which is easier to fit and as good as lead - this is not flashband, but much better quality

I did look at ubiflex which seems a good alternative. I've no doubt purists will ward me off but it seems that the expected life exceeds 15 yrs by which time the polycarbonate will probably need replacing anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back