flat conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am in the process of converting my house into flats and have been told by my sparks that i will have to rewire the 4units completely to new regs, is this correct :?: the currant wiring is pre 2004 regs

Sponsored Links
What were his reasons? If you think he is trying to pull a fast one, get another electrician to take a look.
As you will be wanting 4 separate flats I'd imagine you will be wanting 4 individually wired and metered premises so it will probably be easier to rewire the lot.
Earthing and bonding should be brought up to date before any alterations or additions to the electrical system are made.

i don't think he was trying it on he just thought the regs called for it, obviousy additions and alterations will be made to 7671 regs but would existing have to be changed, ie socket/switch heights :?:

as it's a total refurbishment it will have to conform to the building regulations to pass the LABC inspection that you will need..

this includes fire, access, ventilation and so on..

you will need to split the supply into 5 ( 4 flats and 1 comon area supply.. ) each with their own consumer unit and meters.. ( unless you intend to charge a fixed flat rate for ameneties etc.. )

you'll need to install a proper fire alarm system and lots of other things.

the change of use will include 4 kitchens, 4 lounges, 4 bedrooms and so on so there will be masses of new circuits and sockets going in..

the cost difference to bring any existing items that will be re-used is likely to be minimal when compared to the whole installation as a whole..

Sponsored Links
I also don't think your sparky is pulling a fast one

As you will be ripping the guts out the house it is logical to rewire with an all new installation as adapting and making additions to existing wiring would take longer than putting new stuff.

If the house is more than 20yrs old you'll probably find the lighting ccts will be in 1mm for a start.

Also on flat conversions these days the amont of thermal & sound proofing insulation required to meet building regs would effect the current carrying capacity of existing wiring.

I assume you will be renting out the flats :?: In which case it would be good to provide your new tenants with a new electrical installation and peace of mind for you knowing its done right. More expense I know but at the end of the day you will be responsible as the landlord :D

I'm not sure if a flat conversion is enough to require the new socket hights but I suspect it is.

To split into four units would probablly require a lot of rewiring anyway so it is probablly better to replace everything than make the marginal savings from leaving a few old bits in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back