Flat Renting Issues

I had similar problems with the landlord/owner when they indeed lived in the property, so I didn't really get on with them at all, so it could be they are trying their hardest to make this as awkward as possible for me.

When I say similar problems I refer to informing them of a crack in the ceiling a couple of years ago, they did nothing until I had to call them from work as water was pouring down which ruined the ceiling and carpet etc, this was the previous tenant which is now the owner who is renting the flat to the tenant regarding this current problem, so you can see why it will be difficult for me to contact the owner myself, goodness sake, she would never give me her mobile number when she lived above never mind let me have it now that she is the owner living somewhere else.

Sponsored Links
I don't think local authorities can force entry without going to court first. A few years back when my annual gas safety check was due, I happened to be working up at Oldham , all week every week for three months. I had phoned the council stating why they couldn't get access during the week. They were unwilling to pay someone to do the check on Saturdays and before too long they were threatening court action to gain access. I eventually had to take a Monday off work (unpaid) to let them in, Although I did tell them if no one turned up, I'd be claiming a days wages from them.

I eventually had to take a Monday off work (unpaid) to let them in, Although I did tell them if no one turned up, I'd be claiming a days wages from them.

I take it they turned up then :?:

Sponsored Links
Hi

Is there a managing agent for the building?

If so they may be able to pass on a message to the landlord, they probably won't give you their details though.

I had a similar issue a few years back as there was water leaking from the flat above. Though as I was renting, I handed over to my landlord to sort it out.

The owner of the flat above had to pick up the costs of repainting the ceiling in the flat I was renting.

Cheers

G

The owner of the flat above had to pick up the costs of repainting the ceiling in the flat I was renting.

More leverage to use on the landlord. :D

In my case it wasn't, it happened three more times :rolleyes:

One time I had water coming through the light fitting in the kitchen and hallway - he had to pay to replace those too!

Is there a letting agent involved? Often they are authorised to carry out repairs and can give out the owner's details. Just ask the tenant who they rent from.

A few years ago I had a garage roof blow off and a neighbour complained that stuff was getting damaged in their adjoining garage. The letting agents contacted me (the landlord) and then liaised with my insurance company to get the roof repaired and compensate the neighbours. This didn't stop the neighbour ringing me at work and bending my ear, which I thought was fair.

Two things I want to say, the first I didn't mention is that I own my flat, the second is as far as I am aware the owner will take the cheapest option there is to do anything, so I would imagine that when she let out her flat she did so by contacting a friend of a friend so to speak, bypassing any middle man if you get my meaning.

I meant to ask, is that possible to rent out your flat without going through any formal process first?

I meant to ask, is that possible to rent out your flat without going through any formal process first?

Its only a money making process really and apart from safety checks for gas etc and the risk of getting poor tenants looks like a good job to me.

Having said that a landlord near me is alwways turning clts over and getting it decorated on the cheap

:( Not easy money IMHO

Don't know what you mean by "formal process" but it would be a foolish landlord that doesn't have a tenency agreement in place. Landlords of HMO's have a few hoops to jump through but none this helps you. Contact the EH tell them the flat above drains are leaking into your home and that you're unable to contact the landlord, ask them if they will on your behalf.

Many blocks of flats are leasehold. If yours is then tell the holders.

Sponsored Links
Back