Flat roof and laying wooden decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a flat roof above my kitchen and bathroom and it already has an access door from one of the upper bedrooms and is also already fenced off. However, I dont like the look of the flat roof material and have thought about placing decking over it but, never having laid it before I am not sure if its a good idea or not or if anyone has any better ideas of what to do with it then I am happy to hear. I am also concerned that if i leave the roof as it is and use it as a garden more freely then it will cause the roof to deteriorate quicker, hence the protective element of the decking too.

Many thanks,

Rob.

Sponsored Links
Hi Breezer,

Do you mean of the wood or as roof use? I believe that it has already been converted for use as a roof going by the property deeds and having been laid, fenced and access provided etc. I just want to make it look more interesting and more durable.

Rob.

I am concerned that if you put decking down then stand on it (as you do) will the existing roof be able to take the weight?

Sponsored Links
Hi Breezer,

To be honest, at this stage i am unsure on how well supported it would be with the extra weight, excuse the pun but i am trying to weigh up my options of possibilities before i lift any hammers. I was unsure if it would be ok to deck over that material or i would cause damage or if there were other ideas to grounding.

Rob

Do you know the size of the roofing joists? span & size will help as well.

if the extension was built anytime after the late 70s then the specification for the roof will have been sufficient to take another storey and so should be fine as a roof garden, as a precaution I would cover with another layer of capping sheet especially if it has chippings on, first remove these you should never really walk on a flat roof with chippings as they may puncture the felt.

Hi,

Well, if the roof material is fine for decking then i will investigate the joist strengths now it is getting warmer.

It was built in the late 70's, early 80's as it was officially converted/registered for use as a roof garden as I am in a conservation area so the supports will hopefully be the ones you mention in order to support the wood.

On that note, how would I secure the joists for the decking to the roof as surely they will puncture the current floor and cause potential leak areas?

Rob.

berty2000 said:
On that note, how would I secure the joists for the decking to the roof as surely they will puncture the current floor and cause potential leak areas?
It can be done but I be more concern when you want to renew the roofing felts, might be idea to invest for long term with something like Topseal which specialize in roof garden and the price don't seem that bad!

Mmmm, intersting but adds cost to the job, seems a shame when the roof is good at the moment, a couple of years old I think.

berty2000 said:
Mmmm, intersting but adds cost to the job
but it is probably the right way to do it, and that means it wil last longer with no probs

dont fix it through the felt just build a frame and secure it to whatever is supporting your balaustrading

you wont need to secure them. build a framework and place the decking on top. With the weight of the decking it wont move anywhere. I would also use some slabs under the subframe so not all of it is resting on the roof felt. Pretty much the same thing they do with plant machinery on falt roofs.

I would generally aggre that the decking wont be going anywhere but having said that in the '87 gales a summer house landed in our garden from 3 doors away.
So I would at leats ie it down with some string ;)

chappers said:
I would generally aggre that the decking wont be going anywhere but having said that in the '87 gales a summer house landed in our garden from 3 doors away.
Have you given it back? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back