Flat roof coating recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garage is about 5 years overdue repair and i’ve recently been cutting out and replacing the qworst affected OSB (sagging/ponding) with fresh boards, refelting and sealing gaps & overlaps with Cromapol. Where there are very small ponds I plan to fill these with a bit of Cementone, then cover the whole felt roof with a suitable coating.
My question is which product would be best? (Looking for an inexpensive repair)

I have seen;
Blackjack all weather roof coating
Blackjack bitumen paint
I’m not sure what the difference between these products are and which would be more suitable.

Or am i better with more Cromapol?
Can this be watered down with white sprit to make it easier to roll on? A 5kg tin didn't go very far so not sure 20kg tin will be enough and its twice the price as the above for 25litres.

Everbuild PU liquid roof looks great but is the most expensive.

Or is there anything else I should be considering?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks, so bitumen paint over the all weather coating? Will order tomorrow.

Plan to have an extension over next 12m-24m so didn’t make sense to go for new roof.

Sponsored Links
Think you might find that bitumen paint degrades in heat and sunlight and washes off eventually, particularly if it's at the bottom of standing water

If you only need a quick, cheap fix perhaps shed felt or onduline sheets..

I'm a bit of an EPDM fanboy, but if you choose EPDM you could buy your final material now as a complete covering, fix it in place temporarily and then refix it permanently when you get round to replacing the roof.

In my experience all paints seem to fail at some point. I have used several on a particular old felt roof over the last 25 years and they have varied from useless to 5 years of protection, but they've all failed

Regards

Tet

Think you might find that bitumen paint degrades in heat and sunlight and washes off eventually, particularly if it's at the bottom of standing water

If you only need a quick, cheap fix perhaps shed felt or onduline sheets..
Thanks
Yes I don’t expect it to last forever, 1-2years is enough. Yesterday I added more felt to some leaking areas. Just wanted something to waterproof the whole roof.

The answer is in , coating...paint
Sorry for my ignorance, whats the difference between the two?
They both claim to be a paint on bitumen to waterproof a felt roof, only difference I can see is the coverage. (Bitumen Paint 5m2 per L, All Weather Coating 1.25m2 per L)
I can only guess the All Weather Coating is a much thicker product?

I'm a bit of an EPDM fanboy, but if you choose EPDM you could buy your final material now as a complete covering, fix it in place temporarily and then refix it permanently when you get round to replacing the roof.

In my experience all paints seem to fail at some point. I have used several on a particular old felt roof over the last 25 years and they have varied from useless to 5 years of protection, but they've all failed

Regards

Tet
Thanks. I did briefly look into EPDM but I hope to have an extension in a year or so and would get rid of the flat roof. Looking at cost its probably not worth it for the short time.

Thanks
Yes I don’t expect it to last forever, 1-2years is enough. Yesterday I added more felt to some leaking areas. Just wanted something to waterproof the whole roof.

Sorry for my ignorance, whats the difference between the two?
They both claim to be a paint on bitumen to waterproof a felt roof, only difference I can see is the coverage. (Bitumen Paint 5m2 per L, All Weather Coating 1.25m2 per L)
I can only guess the All Weather Coating is a much thicker product?
Ones a bitumen paint , the other is a roof coating

Thanks. I did briefly look into EPDM but I hope to have an extension in a year or so and would get rid of the flat roof. Looking at cost its probably not worth it for the short time.

I'd agree with you and wouldn't use it as a temporary measure. I was proposing that you consider it as the roofing material for your extension, buy a sufficiently sized piece and fit loosely now and effectively recycle it as the roof for your new extension when its built

Regards

Tet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back