Flat roof conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following on my previous thread, I am wondering whether my project will come to fruition:

I have a flat roof with 7" x 2" joists at 16" c/c spanning 12ft with no intermediate support. They appear to have two layers of Strawboard (Stramit?) which are then finished in felt.

The project is/was to build access to this roof for a roof garden, so putting down decking over this area using 3" x 2" on edge with the decking screwed to them. The 3" x 2" would be down the slight slope, i.e. in line with the roof joists. (Would this count towards load-spreading, perhaps?)

It seems from the Building Regs in the table for "Maximum clear span of flat roof joists; Access not limited to the purpose of cleaning and maintenance" that the permitted dead load excluding the self weight of the joist is "Not more than 0.5 kN/m2".
If the Stramit boards have a density of 380kg/m3 then at 4" thickness I make that a loading of 38kg/m2 which only leaves around 12.6kg/m2 for imposed load.

Am I reading the situation correctly? It seems that without extra support mid-joist I would not get Building Control permission for what I want. Unfortunately, due to the location an rsj could not be inserted without removing the roof!

Any bright ideas out there?

Sponsored Links
Simply adding another timber to the top of the existing will not satisfy reg's.

Why don't you replace the existing joists with the correct size?

Unfortunately it's a question of how much it is worth spending on the project, and this would certainly put it over the top.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back