Flat roofs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Still a leaky nightmare in waiting, or a perfectly sound option if done properly using modern materials/techniques?

Sponsored Links
Still a leaky nightmare in waiting, or a perfectly sound option if done properly using modern materials/techniques?
Perfectly sound in my opinion.

The one downside regards flat roofs is the problems associated with finishing at the fascia detail regards warm deck flatties.

You have to deal with the thickness of the joists, firrings (diminishing strips), the insulation, the finishing deck and sometimes the cocking fillet also. This can amount to a seriously deep fascia that can look at best - ugly.

However, despite appearances there is no reason to suggest that a 3 ply felt flattie with mineral flashings, well constructed, can not last for at least 25 years or more.

Well it won't be me doing it, (which is probably a Good Thing), so let's hope Mr Builder knows what he's up to.

Don't recognise all of the terms in noseall's post, but I get the gist.

A thought which occurred to me about that - is it not possible to have the joists resting on only the inner leaves of the walls, so that the outer leaf can be taken higher up, thus reducing the height of the fascia needed?

Sponsored Links
A thought which occurred to me about that - is it not possible to have the joists resting on only the inner leaves of the walls, so that the outer leaf can be taken higher up, thus reducing the height of the fascia needed?
Pertinent point and yes you can. Only trouble is, by doing this you remove the better part of your fascia fixing framework and are left with the less robust insulation and deck etc.

I design all my flat roofs with a nice narrow fascia or non at all where possible.

Deep fascias really are the pits

With a warm deck, and therefore no need for ventilated soffits, does the fascia actually do anything?

Yes, it covers the joists and also allows the detail of bringing the roof deck/covering over the wall - otherwise some sort of capping or parapet is required

But it can be discarded - or just be a minimal depth to take the flat roof drip. But that is often too much hard work for the designer to get the detail right

Sorry - I meant "do" as in "perform a structural function"....

And after posting I thought "I suppose they are quite handy for fixing guttering".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back