Flexi waste pipe under suspended bathtub

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, me again! Another day another problem!

I noticed some discolouring to the grout in the bathroom tiles but wasn't sure if I was imagining this. But after using the bath, I looked underneath and noticed a leak from the flexi waste pipe, it looks like it's cracked open and has a leak.

Here's a couple of pictures:

IMG_4870.jpg IMG_4869.jpg

It's a 32mm pipe. I've picked up a new flexi waste pipe.

The end that connects to the bath waste looks easy enough to screw off and on. Do I need any solvent/silicone for this end?

In the second picture, I don't understand how it connects to the white pipe coming out of the wall. Does the other end of the flexi pipe just push in to the pipe coming out of the wall? It looks like there is some kind of connector but can't be sure without taking it apart. But would love to know in advance so I've got all the bits to put it back together. Again, solvent/silicone needed for this?
I've had a little tug and the pipe coming out of the wall is not rigid, I can move it around quite a lot, so really don't want to break anything.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Oh god, get rid of that please! Rigid trap and pipework needed, should be 40mm on a bath. Can you expose any more pipework where it goes into the wall to see what's going on and try and ascertain how to couple onto it?

It has been very slowly to drain waste water away, despite trying all the tricks to unclog.

Isn't the access too small for rigid pipework?

Let me see if I can get any more pictures closer... managed to get a video, there is some give, hesitant to move it anymore. Have had to post it on imgur as it wouldn't let me upload here.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Where is the crack in the Flexi ?
It would be a challenge to remove the flexi .

In the first picture in my first post, the crack is in the flex part of the pipe, just underneath where it screws on to the bathtub waste.

That doesn't look like a crack ,it looks like dirt ,a cobweb!! Have you tried to clean it off ?

It's definitely leaking and not the cobweb, had to use three towels used to clean it up. The crack is horizontal across on of the internal flexes, and I've pushed it back together to avoid any more water leaking through in the meantime, it may not be completely visible in the picture.

Last edited:
It's not visible in your pic,can you see it in your pic ?
The Flexi is a series of rings. How many rings down is it from the connection to the chrome waste ?

It's the first ring down. So where you mentioned the cobweb, the top inner flex part where the cobweb starts, there is a faint black horizontal line - that's where it's cracked. It's small.

I thought that was just a dirty line !!
I wonder if it might be worth loading the " channel" in between the two rings with silicone ,around the whole diameter in an effort to seal it up ?
Obviously replacing the Flexi with rigid trap and pipe would be best,but that will not be easy at the wall end.

What's the best approach to replacing the wall end section?

Found this rigid trap which should work, but what pipe should I connect to the wall end? And what's the best way to remove/cut the wall end?

Do you know what the pipe that goes into the wall connects to ? Does it go straight out through an external wall ,or does it connect to an internal soil stack ?
Can you get a torch around there to see what type of fitting it is ,like an elbow for instance,that the Flexi connects to ?

This wall joins the family bathroom with the ensuite, so assume it joins up to an internal soil stack.

Here's the best pictures I could get from where the waste goes...

IMG_4875.jpg IMG_4874.jpg

We have a vanity unit on the bathroom on the other side, and here's a picture behind the unit where some of the waste pipes run:

IMG_4878.jpg

The bottom of the vanity unit looks like this, where the bottom shelf is narrower than the others, so assuming there is space here to access the pipes but not sure.

IMG_4879.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back