Flexible tap connectors - WRAS or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit some new taps in the utility room and have been looking on Screwfix Direct at flexible tap connectors.

What is the difference between ordinary connectors and WRAS approved connectors and which should I buy?

I also might re-plumb the outside tap to incorporate a Surestop water switch that I've been given after the existing stop tap. If I use a flexy in this setup would it need to be WRAS?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Any plumbing installation should be installed to meet water regulations.

Any fitting that is used should be of approved quality.

WRAS approved fittings will meet these requirements. So I would advise you to go for the WRAS.

If the fitting isn't stating it is WRAS, then you need to check for either a kitemark or a CE mark as minimum.

Your outside tap will need to have a double check valve, and an isolation valve inside the property.

Hope this helps.

Andy.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Andy, I'd looked at that earlier today but just wondered why Screwfix sell non WRAS items that many people will use as they're so much cheaper. Maybe regulations should be tighter that merchants only sell WRAS approved items.

As it says.

It is not illegal to sell unsuitable fittings. But to install one would be.

Andy.

Flexible hoses is the easy way out and generally done by the DIYer. A proper plumber will bend copper and use a proper tap connector fitting, the way I have been taught.

dont forget though most non wras approved fittings can still be used on the heating side of things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back