Flickering bulbs again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Realise that I’m in danger of fanning flames, get spark, etc etc but here goes. Had to replace bulb that popped and defective dimmer (9.5 year-old son hammering it!). Gist is that in my haste I bought a brass one gang two way wall switch and 11W energy saving bulb from Homebase.

When I replaced the dimmer I tried to follow live, switched live wiring exactly (L1 into L1 and Com into Com etc). When I turned the power on nothing! I then switched the live wires and it worked except that the bulb flickers for a second when you switch off. Doesn't flicker afterwards or while on, literally just for a second as you switch off.

I’ve done some research and it’s evident that this happens sometimes. I’ll try the bulb somewhere else to confirm when I get home but is there a possibility that the flicker could be related to bad wiring on my part? Just concerned that I had to reverse what I thought was correct when wiring etc. Having said that maybe going from dimmer to two way was slightly different configuration.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Longshanks

Sponsored Links
So the new switch is not a dimmer?

If so you may just be getting induction from other cabling, or there may be an earth missing.
These can all contribute to strange flickering from those loverlee low energy lamps.

Thanks

New switch is not dimmer, just plain one gang, two way etc (only being used in one way capacity).

Would the wiring connections have been completely different to that in dimmer?

Hi

Update

Just checked bulb in another room and it still flickers when switched off so obviously feature of bulb. I'm probably being neurotic as it works but can someone look at the image of the now replaced dimmer switch in album and explain how the L1 connection suddenly goes into the Comm in the new one and the wire that went into the terminal far left with the funny symbol now goes into L1 in the new switch to get it to work (wouldn't work the other way around) Also to note that new switch is two way but only using it in bedroom as one way.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back