Flickering lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My whole downstairs lights tripped, when I turn them back on they randomly flicker, mostly gu10 Led spots, no wiring had been touched prior, help please...

Sponsored Links
That’s not really “exactly”. I’m not being difficult, but need more info.

Fuseboxes only have fuses in them.

I’ll assume it’s a consumer unit then.
Is the ‘switch’ an MCB, an RCBO or an RCD? What rating is it? Post a photo if you don’t know.

Sponsored Links
Ah Proteus, such a quality make. Not.

As all lights are affected, I would start at the consumer unit end.
If you have an upstairs lighting MCB, you could try moving the wire from the downstairs to the upstairs MCB. That would eliminate the MCB as the cause of the problem.
Note: turn off the main switch and check that power is really off before taking the cover off the CU.
If you are uncomfortable about doing this then you’ll need an electrician.

Have you tried turning off and on a few time the affected MCB? Also check that all the connections are tight inside your consumer unit.

Hello,

I switched everything off in the CU then had a look round, the MCB with the affected lights had a charred live cable so I have cut it and stripped it back again but no joy. I will go and buy a new B6 MCB today. Is it just a case of switching everything off in the CU to replace it?

As I suggested quite a few day’s ago:
Try that connected in to the other lighting MCB.
Then you’ll know if the MCB is actually faulty.
Turn off the MAIN SWITCH in the consumer unit. And use safe isolation procedures to MAKE SURE power is fully isolated before putting your fingers in there.
Even with the main switch off there are still live parts.

Cheers, will the other MCB hold and run both sets of lights or should I remove the original ones first?

Right, I have all the info I need now to make a start. I will isolate the power in the CU and also in the outside box with the meter in it. If these lights work on the other B6 can I reconnect the original lights and have both upstairs and downstairs on the same MCB? I have mostly Gu10 leds and other low energy bulbs in my gaff? Thanks for your help so far.

Not really a good idea. The regulations imply you should still have some lights working if one MCB trips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back