Flickering lights

Sponsored Links
Right, discovered 3 red wires going to the 2 MCB's and I have worked out 1 is the smoke alarms, 1 is upstairs lights and 1 is downstairs lights. I have tried all 3 one at once in the 1 working MCB and still can't get the downstairs lights to work so I am assuming it's not a fault in the CU.

The downstairs lights have the following on the circuit.

All bulbs are low energy
2 outside lights
1 hall light
3 living room lights
4 gu10 dining room
10 gu10 study
1 gu10 2nd hall light
1 bathroom gu10
12 gu10 kitchen
1 fancy bulb in kitchen
2 low power extractor fans

I had removed all bulbs but 1 but still intermittent.

The study was on a dimmer which I have removed and replaced with a standard switch.

Any ideas what's next please?

Sponsored Links
Lucky you didn’t go and buy a new MCB then!
Do you have a two-probe voltage tester, or a multimeter?

If yes then you need to start at the consumer unit, check voltage is leaving from the MCB. Then you’ll need to work your way round each of the light fittings to find out where the fault might lie.

If no, then you’ll need an electrician.

Even with the main switch off there are still live parts.

Is that not common sense and obvious being that it clearly only isolates downstream of the isolator, not upstream to the meter/henley block.

Of course, even when proved dead and the main isolator is switched off, it is still good practice to treat it as live and use caution!

Is that not common sense and obvious being that it clearly only isolates downstream of the isolator, not upstream to the meter/henley block.
It may be obvious and common sense to you and me. But I was waving the caution flag to our friend, who may not be familiar with the insides of a consumer unit.

Hi guys, apprieciate all your help on this, thanks also for the cautionary notes.

To answer Mr Sheds question, the charring was on the MCB and about 10mm of the cable.

Ok - as long as you cut the wire back to past where the copper and the insulation are soft that'll be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back