Problem with downstairs lighting circuit - please help in case its dangerous?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Since yesterday we have been having a problem with the downstairs lighting circuit.

For example I put one light on and it didn't come on. Then I tried another light and it buzzed and flickered and then came on. And when I tried the light again that didn't come on this time it turned on

However since this issue for the past few hours the lights downstairs have been fine turning on and off as per normal.

However I just turned the kitchen light on and it flickered and buzzed before coming on, so it seems to be affecting random lights on the downstairs circuit?

We had the house rewired in 2011 and had a new consumer board with RCD's etc and none of these are tripping? It's a separate circuit to upstairs which seems fine?

Is it just coincidence or should this be checked out, and what are the possible causes?

Lauren

Sponsored Links
It sounds like a loose connection, best advice is to turn off the MCB for the downstairs lighting circuit and get it checked asap by an electrician.
Keep in mind which lights worked and which ones didn't as it will help the electrician locate the issue more quickly.

Thanks, I am hoping to get an electrician over tomorrow to look at it. It seems to be affecting 3 lights downstairs although this morning it is all ok when I tried the lights?

Sponsored Links
Loose connection. Don't keep playing with them, just leave alone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back