flitch beam for Chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This has been raised and passed reg to allow my chimney to be removed to nearly the roof line for the loft conversion . But looking at the drawing i am confused.

the draftsman has written
" 150*110 flitch beam made of 2No 150*50 C16 timbers etc etc" understand the beam construction.
But what is 2No? is it something really simply i am missing,
ie i get it a "timber metal timber"
He has drawn a beam that follows the current rafters with a flat for the chimney to sit on. Welding of the metal in the beam.

When bolts are specified are these a standard grade 10.9 rather than 12.9

Will get back to the designer but just curious before chasing him

Sponsored Links
He simply means a beam made of 2, 150 x 50, timbers bolted together. (quite how he reckons the 2 x 50 mm makes 110mm though I don't know, must have gone to a different school than I did ) ;) ;)

something simply the looking to deep
That is what i assumed but as he listed the beam type and size 150*110mm and the timber size of 150x50mm and does list the metal as 10mm, so to me it seemed odd the 2NO part as there would be no way to get to 110mm with out {C16}50mm, {metal S275}10mm, {C16}50mm

2No means "two of"

Edited:
I have now discovered the Meaning of Life. I am off on a journey of self-discovery. I have told my woman that I am leaving her for a millionaire supermodel (just as soon as I find one who'll have me).

If you can keep your head
When all around are losing theirs,
And blaming it on you
then you'ver really got the hang
of the axe-murdering business.

Sponsored Links
The 110mm is the total beam width, so will be made up of the 10mm plate sandwiched between the two 50mm timbers

Reading drawings not a issue just a difference between drawing types. Used to engineers drawings.

Reading drawings not a issue just a difference between drawing types. Used to engineers drawings.

Well there should not be a great deal of difference ... unless you've got a lazy designer who just uses a thicker line to represent a beam and leaves you to guess how it all fits together

In an engineering drawing it would be written as "6 off hole blar blar" not "6 No hole"

I'll get there no doubt raising a few more questions along the way

In an engineering drawing it would be written as "6 off hole blar blar" not "6 No hole"
Yeah, but this is how we do it in the building trade. You are running off parts and displacing, we are gathering and fixing parts.

You work to microns we work to mill's.

I say toma-y-to you say tom-ar-to.... :mrgreen:

Yeah, but this is how we do it in the building trade. You are running off parts and displacing, we are gathering and fixing parts.

You work to microns we work to mill's.

I sat toma-y-to you say tom-ar-to.... :mrgreen:

I thought we, in the building trade worked off hand drawn sketches on the back of an old fag packet. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

PS we don't work to mill's we work to "about a gnats whisker".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back