Floating bathroom worktop construction and adequate support?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good day ladies and gents,

I work at a bathroom shop and am tasked with building some ambitious designs for the showroom which a designer has created. One of the plans is a floating worktop which had originally been intended for construction using Jackoboard 50mm shelf construction boards (alike to Marmox / Wedi). It's looking to be approximately 1500mm long, 500mm deep and as thin as possible then tiled using appropriate primer/adhesive with porcelain.

Anchoring points available...
*All along 1 end.

*Section of wall (yet to be built) from approx. 650mm from supported end (originally due to stop before the 1500mm but thinking it may have to be extended to match worktop length).

I'm only a competent DIYer pushed by bosses in to being our builder and I'm suspecting the original won't have the strength required (similar size worktops we supply seem to work off a 150kg max. weight).

Could anyone suggest another construction that would be better suited? my only thought being laminated ply up to whatever thickness to give the strength but that alone will introduce a lot of weight on top of probably 80kg ish of tiles + adhesive?

Sorry for long post, any help greatly appreciated. People have been great for my house renovation questions on this forum before :)

Regards

Rob

Sponsored Links
From your description, I think some metal is required.

Hadn't considered that, getting a bit complex for replication by customers though I think..

I'll put the idea to the bosses, used to work at an engineering firm so sure they could knock something up for us.

many thanks

never a good idea to give customers an idea the kitchen fitters/bathroom fitters/carpenters can't knock up in house or on site
it will only lead to disappointment

Sponsored Links
True, though there's many fitters we deal with that just want to fit close coupled wcs, basins on pedestals and high profile shower trays with elec/exposed showers with 6x6 bumpy whites, they need a kick sometimes :D

Again, the end result isn't my desicion that's down to the bosses. I think I'm for recommending a leg akin to those found on breakfast bars or similar to remove the twisting load and make this a truckload more simple :)

Rob

yes legs are an option but require fixing to the floor so may cause problems if the floor covering isnt renewed at the same time as the unit/leg removal

Sorry I didn't clarify in the original post, this is a completely new display area. The only thing that exists thus far is a stud wall which would be the end of the worktop but can easily be amended to suit.

The floor on which this is sat is a mezzanine but we'll be building over this to raise the display firstly at the designers request but also to allow for easy fitting of floor lighting.

Cheers again for your input :)

Displays bathrooms are just that, most cannot be replicated in the home as they don't contain any pipe or drainage.

We're 'mostly' considerate of making our displays repeatable, we might add recesses to walls seems they're all studwork and use dummy flush plates for btw / wallhung wc's then build out shelves/boxing for 1-2 displays to show to customers.

Though admittedly we don't want kids soaking themselves so the only working showers are inside a sealed unit which we need a key to access :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back