Floating shelf/breakfast Bar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just wondering if anyone could help please. I live by myself and have gotten rid of my table and chairs because they are not being used. I’ve always wanted a floating shelf/breakfast Bar and plan on getting this

https://www.homebase.co.uk/solid-oak-hobbyboard-1150-x-300-x-18mm_p423161

Just wondering if it would be difficult to have this on a floating shelf And if so could you recommend good ones? Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Unlikely to be strong enough, weight on it could snap the staves if unsupported.Better to use kitchen work top with a leg under it.

It got ,not gotten, no such word unless you are a yank?

This is what I was thinking about

Attachments

• 63A244F4-5FED-4CE5-86BC-94105D54E1AF.jpeg
    63A244F4-5FED-4CE5-86BC-94105D54E1AF.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 481
Sponsored Links
One in pic is around 30mm thick , suggested fixings you linked too require 15mm hole in your 18mm shelf? Leaving it supported on less than 2mm of timber .?

You might be able to use something like these with shelf trimmed to required thickness.

I assume you have solid brickwork to fix to?

Last edited:
So basically there’s no way to hang an 18mm with 300mm depth shelf then? That sucks was really hoping I could I like the floating look rather than brackets

Thanks. Pity they don’t do 300mm depth 200mm may be a bit short

Thanks. Pity they don’t do 300mm depth 200mm may be a bit short
Thats because its a shelf, too much leverage on a wider shelf, as a breakfast bar you would only need to lean on it to loosen from wall.

Got a hobby board from HomeBase and a few brackets.

Attachments

• ACC5D035-944C-48C6-A391-DF76482A7652.jpeg
    ACC5D035-944C-48C6-A391-DF76482A7652.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 1,031
Two options for a strong "floating shelf"

In a thin wall if space permits use a bracket on the other side of the wall to take the twisting load of the pin in the wall. Either just pin and bracket or extend to have a shelf on both sides of the wall.

0x38.jpg

Or as in my kitchen, wrap the shelf round a corner.

0x37.jpg

Cheers. Tbh I don’t mind the brackets. I have three and they are going into a really sturdy brick wall so it’s extremly sturdy.

It got ,not gotten, no such word unless you are a yank?

--non-DIY post--

Actually it is an English word first used in the 4th Century and used by writers, poets and playwrights throughout English history since. The Victorians changed that though, calling it an "Americanism".

Another thing the Victorians did (when attempting to standardise our language) was drop the use of 'z' in some words such as in "organize" or "appetizer". Before then and for many centuries before that, we used 'z' in place of 's' and it was only around the turn of the 20th Century that current spellings in the United Kingdom became common. In short, the use of the 'z' has nothing to do with America -- they are merely using the spellings we took over there in the early days of colonisation (or colonization).

--non-DIY post over--

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back