Threshold bars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have bought 18mm solid oak flooring and can't seem to find reducer threshold bars for wood to carpet in 18mm.

I can get 15mm no problem so would it matter if the bars were 15mm
or does the depth have to be the same as the wood?

I presume these are fixed by glueing. If not please advise.

Also I have just read that it is not wise to lay a floating floor if it is solid wood. Is this right cos if so it's blown all my plans out of the window?
I have taken off all the skirtings to make a neater job of it.

Thanks Blod

Sponsored Links
Get some made up by a timber mill and screwed and plugged would be better. Expect WoodYouLike will be along soon to answer your floating floor dilema's.

Get some made up by a timber mill and screwed and plugged would be better. Expect WoodYouLike will be along soon to answer your floating floor dilema's.
I can answer both ;)
We've got various types of Oak thresholds 19mm (and 15mm too) (Floor plus underlayment makes more than 18mm)

As for floating solid floors: how wide are the boards and how long? (If random length how many are very short?)

Thanks for your help lads.

The boards are 110mm wide and random lengths. I'm not sure how many short pieces there are as I haven't opened the boxes yet. But the area to be covered is an entrance hall 17ft x 8ft and a landing area which is 2ft 6" x 18ft in the longest part. (Sorry I'm still not metric ) :rolleyes:

Also please tell me how are the wooden thresholds secured? I have seen some veneered ones (cheap looking) in the diy shops but they seem to have a plastic rail to screw to the floor to clip onto.

Your advice is really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What's the length they mention on the boxes? That normally gives us a clue. The width is fine for floating installation though, just want to make sure you don't have too many short boards so you also have too many joints working like hinges.

The thresholds are either glued to the underfloor (bottom part of thresholds) or pinned down to the wood floor (top part - lip - of the threshold).

OOps! :oops: Sorry about the wrong gender address, wood you like (to swing on a star oh oh oh) Couldn't resist that.

Don't know why I naturally assumed you were a bloke but it's nice to know that there are other gals willing to get their hands dirty, like me.

Anyway, removed the skirting boards before laying the floor and it looks great. Thanks again and keep up the good work. :D Regards Blod

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back