Floating shelves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me? I bought 4 floating shelves from Argos (probably not the best place to get them in hindsight). The brackets are fitted to the wall very well but when I push the shelves onto the brackets and fix them, they immediately (all of them) fall down a bit at the front so they permanently have a drop from back to front and therefore do not sit flush to the wall.

I've re-looked at the instructions and seem to have fitted them correctly but it just seems that they don't fit to their own brackets very well.

Any tips, hints or help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
If the shelves are floating, why would you need to attach them to a wall.

Suggestion - Purchase a couple of anchors :LOL:

On a more serious note, take down the brackets. Put them in a large vice. Bend the supports "upwards". Refit.

or flip the brackets over, they may be designed with an upward bend..
or flip the shelves over..
or a bit of tape on the top side of the bracket at the end to hold the shelf up.

Sponsored Links
If they do not meet your needs, return them! Any attempt to bend the brackets etc will weaken the brackets, and also invalidate the guarantee meaning a return would be out of the question.

You need to use all the fixing holes on that type of shelf and fixed firmly to a solid background, cannot be fixed to plasterboard without slight movement.

If the plaster is just slightly out of plumb, then it throws the bar out of horizontal. Check them for level and pack the bracket off the wall with some card as necessary

There may also be some play in the rod/fixing the the bracket.

You should be able to jig the shelves to see if the problem is with the bracket, the horizontal rod or the fixing in the shelf.

It may be just a poor quality issue with these shelves though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back