Floating Shelves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

We have a large piece of what seems to be Oak, the missus would like some floating shelves made out of it, I can cut it to size and plane/sand it but how would I fix something this heavy to the wall to get the floating effect please? We are in a relatively new build (1996) with breezeblock walls and dot and dab plasterboard.

Thanks,
Con1_uk.

:eek:

Sponsored Links
If you didn't know...floating shelves work by having the fixings hidden inside, so a few prongs fixed to the wall, then a hollowed out shelf slips onto the prongs.

The easiest way would be to buy some fixings for a shelf, them simply drill out the size of the prongs. But you will have an issue with weight. Sorry no suggestion yet. But a few questions...how much weight, what size of wood are you talking about , internal/external wall and can you get both sides of the breeze block

Bear in mind that 'floating' shelves are for lightweight items only. Don't expect to support anything with any substance to it.

Two methods? :- 1. Drill a series of holes in wall, which are a good fit to some steel rod/studding. Drill corresponding holes in back of wood, slurp some PVA on steel pins, knock into walls, leave to go off. Put PVA on sticking out pins, slide shelf on, wipe of excess PVA, leave to cure before use.
2. Secret brackets, If you trawl the net you can find shelf brackets which are basically, strips of thick steel (about 3mm thick) that are bent up into brackets. If you cut out slots in the plasterboard for the wall fixing area and insert the horizontal part into holes in the back of the shelf, again with you favourite glue. That's it apart from making good the slots in the plaster board (which is actually easier to do before the wood is put on, - better access for you float.
I used method 1 for some floating shelves in my porch. SWMBO Inssted on putting flower pots on the shelves that got covered in earth dead leaves etc. So I made some shelves that were strips of 3/4" high wood X 1/2" thick about 3' long, 8 or so strips were assemble and short strips were then put on the two ends. I used 8mm studding into a brick wall the outside bit was long enough to go through all the strip except the very face of the outside one. Turned out a nice looking job and self cleaning.
I used a similar technique to hold up a plate rack right around a room, 6" X 1" X 4m long planks, for this I use 7" nails with their heads cut off.
I used method 2 to put up a plate rack in our latest house, with the "shelf" made from kitchen unit plinth chipboard so the colour matched.
If your oak is very heavy I would use method 2.
Frank

Sponsored Links
My brother did pretty much the same for the mantelpiece in his house. Had a big slab of oak that's (from memory) around 2" thick and 10" wide (with a natural (not cut) edge). Put a couple of large steel pins in the wall while building work was going on and slid the shelf onto them. IIRC the pins were 1/2" or more in diameter.

Looks very nice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back