Floating wall over cracked hallway arch in Art Deco flat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am about to attempt to repair some recurring damage and would appreciate some guidance, please.

Setting the scene:
I have a long hallway in a 1930's property. There are two 'arches' (squared not rounded) at either end. The first one is suffering from a crack that runs right across it (up, over, down) - I've been told it 'just is' (i.e. nothing management will/need to fix structurally). The crack, if you were to strip back to the breeze blocks, opens up to a 1-2 cm's in parts.

Approach/or not:
Now, I could scrape it out, fill it (tape/mesh it?) and repair it that way but my concern is it will just come back in 6 months (this crack actually goes from one side of the building to the other, right through our Kitchen - which also needs repair but this post may guide how I address that one...)

Is the 'traditional' approach the best? or could some sort of 'floating box' be placed around the arch, structurally isolated from the arch itself so as the original wall below expands/contracts - the box does not? Would this be considered terrible practice?

If not, how would I go about it to produce a nice result that does not extend out too far from the original wall-edge or look tacky? MDF box, plasterboard attached, finished on top? or something else?

Much appreciated any help here! If you could provide a rough step-by-step for either route that would be great as I am rather new to these larger jobs.

Photos now attached
right_side_to_top_center.png
left_side_to_top_center.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Will that allow for much future movement? and can you 'skim/plaster' straight over it (maybe dampen it first?)

This crack changes quite a lot especially with the weather...

A quick Google suggests you are likely pulling my leg. I welcome serious/alternative solutions...

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back