Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_1112.JPG
IMG_1115.JPG
IMG_1114.JPG
Hi guys (photos attached)

I recently moved in to a Victorian terrace and I'm in the process of giving it a bit of a face lift. This includes replastering the hallway.
In the hallway there is an arch, which had been hidden away behind a stud wall, and the arch itself was covered with wallpaper dating back to the 70s I suspect.
On removing the wallpaper, a pretty large crack revealed itself, though it appeared to have been filled in at some point prior to the wallpaper being applied with some filler that crumbled away with the wallpaper.

Question, can I (should I) refill this with filler or would it require rebuilding the arch? On the other side of the arch there appears to be no sign of damage. Within the crack I can see that the arch is brick construction and it is the render that has fallen off to form the gap.

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Sponsored Links
at some point historically that arch has slipped.
If you are essentially happy with the appearance of the slightly mis aligned moulding and the plaster is solid to the wall above then yes just fill.
If the plaster is loose then carefully strip back and replaster.
Doubt you could rebuild without damaging the moulding

I had a very similar situation in my house, it's been like it for a long time and not likely to go anywhere so dont panic! I ended up stripping mine back, making good the brickwork then reforming the arch with plasterboard to neaten it up. However, yours is in better condition than mine was and has original plaster features so I'd probably try to keep it as it is I think.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back