Flomaster thermostat off but boiler came on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a Flomaster remote thermostat fitted to my Heatline C24 combi by my plumber a few months ago. Apart from never really liking the interface as it seems fiddly and complex to program, I noticed that even though it was set at 17 degrees, the central heating was on even though the temp was showing it was 19 degrees. As the boiler is permanently set to on (on it's manual clock) for central heating, I usually manually turn the thermostat on and off to save the headache of programming the timer. However, I switched the thermostat off but the boiler stayed on. The only way to get it to switch off was to turn the mains switch off after turning the clock on the boiler off. I turned it back on and also the thermostat and it didn't turn on. Earlier I dropped the thermostat on the floor but it wasn't a heavy drop as it was carpet. Could this have upset it ?

What I have also come to dislike with this thermostat is the fact that, when running normally, it doesn't swich off at the required temp until it's gone quite a bit higher. There are increments of 0.5 degrees so it should be that accurate. If I say set it for 20 degrees it would perhaps run until 20.9 which to me isn't economical. In fact, since getting a thermostat I haven't seen reductions in my bills as forecast.

Now I am reluctant to go out the house and leave the boiler mains swich on incase it happens again and runs us up a bill.

Sponsored Links
I can think of three possibilities.

1) You have a frost thermostat somewhere that overrides the Flomasta and turns the heating on when the temperature falls below its set value.

2) There is interference from something, maybe one of your neighbours also has a Flomasta, or other device that is switching your boiler on. Try changing the Flomasta 'address setting' and resetting it.

3) The thermostat and receiver are not communicating properly because they are too far apart or something else is hindering their communication. Try relocating the thermostat if you can find another suitable location for it.

RF thermostats usually only communicate periodically, perhaps every minute or two, to preserve the thermostat batteries, so if you turn the thermostat down below the ambient temperature, the boiler may still stay on until the next communication takes place. However it wouldn't be long enough for the boiler to raise the temperature 2 degrees above the set point.

Whether the 'drop' has broken it is another matter if it was OK before you dropped it then maybe.

Last edited:
does your flawmaster thermostat utilise the TPI principle ?

Last edited by a moderator:
TPI is designed to save energy by operating the boiler in bursts as it approaches the set temperature to prevent the heating overshooting it.

In this case the op says that the room temperature is actually 19 degrees when the thermostat is only set to achieve 17 degrees. TPI would stop it exceeding 17.

Sponsored Links
I had a Flomaster remote thermostat fitted to my Heatline C24 combi by my plumber a few months ago.
best inform the installer,it could be faulty! Or fitted incorrectly !

TPI parameters can be altered to suit most installations :) as long as the heating is designed correctly re heat loss.

Who manufactures the flowmaster thermostats ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back