FLOOD!!! (lots of pictures, dial up beware)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mega post alert.

OK, so i was driving home, and took these (the traffic was at a standstill):
My side of the A6195 dual carriageway at Branton, Barnsley.
dsc00545pn0.jpg

The other side of the road was under about 2 feet of water in places. The waves were amazing.
dsc00542yn9.jpg

I got home, to find this:
My street taken outside my house:
dsc00546zc1.jpg

Taken from my bedroom window:
dsc00560dd0.jpg

The bollard is where the water is coming from. It is a water drain, which takes water from road drains on the whole estate and becomes overrun here, as the road levels.
dsc00553tc2.jpg

Now, our house is on the threshold of flooding. Under the floorboards there is 3 feet of water, taking it to 6 inches below the floorboards! I took a picture where we removed a board, but you cant see anything. The RCD tripped on an L-E fault on the kitchen circuit, which i havent tracked down yet. I have a feeling its the pond setup.

However, the back garden:
We (well, ok, not me) were building a little wall around the fish pond to stop them swimming away. The surrounding walls were 2 inches under water, so the bricks just about did it! In the distance you can see the decking has lifted, its floating on the water!!! I really hope it goes down where it was, or my dad wont be best pleased, he's just built that section. :(
dsc00556zc9.jpg

The drain in the road has popped before, it does it quite regularly, infact, but today it has just been unreal. We have also never been flooded under the house. Other houses on the street, about 5-8 have been flooded above the floorboards. We're lucky. the water is now subsiding.

Sponsored Links
I take it you's have heard about the fella who died after having his foot caught in a drain, does anyone know how he died ? it cant be because he drowned surely :eek: considering there were police divers present with breathing equipment. Anyone with more imfo.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for sharing them crafty, hope it all sorts its self out without to much damage or any even! :D couple of weeks and there'll be a hose pipe ban :LOL: .

it cant be nice though can it.

come home to that lot.

i dont know what to say

markie said:
I take it you's have heard about the fella who died after having his foot caught in a drain, does anyone know how he died ? it cant be because he drowned surely :eek: considering there were police divers present with breathing equipment. Anyone with more imfo.

Found more about it thanks for the help :LOL:

ps why did they not just cut his trapped foot off, :idea: if they did he would still be alive now.

breezer said:
it cant be nice though can it.

come home to that lot.

i dont know what to say
Its not nice, idiots were driving up and down the road through a foot of water, i just wondered what was going through their heads. the alternative is a 400 yard route, why not use it rather than risk their car, and SPLASH WAVES INTO EVERYONES FRONT DOORS :evil: The van parked across the road was to stop people doing this, we got sick of it.

Why did that guy die? Why couldn't they build a wall of sandbags all around him and use a pump to keep the inner area dry? The water level would then have dropped and they could have got him out.

only summising but im guessing the water was coming up through the grate like in craftys pictures, and again only summising but probgably more likel;y to be hypothermia rather than actual drowning. Not nice.

hope it all turns out all right crafty. is your collection of the beano and airfix model kits ok in your bedroom? ;)

Thermo said:
hope it all turns out all right crafty. is your collection of the beano and airfix model kits ok in your bedroom? ;)
Yeah, i've also moved the big n bouncy mags to higher ground :LOL:

Crafty said:
Thermo said:
Yeah, i've also moved the big n bouncy mags to higher ground :LOL:

youll be in trouble when your mummy finds out. she'll march you straight around to the newsagents with a vice like grip on your ear! :LOL:

markie said:

I do a lot of scuba diving.
And they would probably have tried a full face mask on him, if one was quickly available.
Quite possibly they only had the normal regulators/masks, and even some divers when they panic, spit the reg out and make for the surface.

Quite possibly he had a heart attack, through the cold/panic.

Sponsored Links
Back