Flood.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last night when i turned the tap on the kitchen sink on there was pop then lots of water came flooding out of the cupboard under the sink, we are insured for pipework so a plumber turned up a while later and cut the old joint off and fitted the white one in the picture below our worry now is will the other do the same at some point (the old one in the bottom picture is the same as the one that he removed) the kitchen was fitted 8 years ago if that helps.

For peace of mind (i dread to think what the house would have been like had we not been there) we have decided to get the second joint replaced but as my username says i am no DIY expert so could someone advise if it would be better to have a copper fixing put on rather than another one of these more modern looking speed fit type fixings (compared to the copper looking one in the picture) what would members of the forum advise?

Could someone please explain how the old copper looking connector in picture 3 below works (the one that came off our pipe) i have seen a video (see below) of how the speed fit connector works by twisting the outer part to get the metal teeth in the collet to bite into the pipe but this one seems a lot different and i cannot find it searching the internet.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/forums/plumbing/create-thread#ixzz6cvojxRrA

Thanks in advance.

He cut the new slot in the board and i wouldn't be bothered if it needed making bigger to allow access.

IMG-20201103-202932325.jpg

IMG-20201103-203627879.jpg

IMG-20201103-203516382.jpg

Sponsored Links
They are both push fit connectors of different makes, both plastic. Maybe the one that came off got knocked or wasn't on fully. Maybe the earlier ones didn't have the locking collar. Of course fitting onto copper pipes they don't bite so well.

Thanks for your quick reply.

I posted this in my first post do you have any views?

For peace of mind (i dread to think what the house would have been like had we not been there) we have decided to get the second joint replaced but as my username says i am no DIY expert so could someone advise if it would be better to have a copper fixing put on rather than another one of these more modern looking speed fit type fixings (compared to the copper looking one in the picture) what would members of the forum advise?

Edit to add -
We are thinking of getting a different mixer tap with a longer (taller) spout so would asking a plumber to change both connectors for copper (meaning no plastic joints at all) be the best solution?

Last edited:
Copper, soldered ,fittings are far more reliable than any brand of plastic push fit . By the way ,the copper pipe that's just visible thru the hole in the cupboard could do with checking out ,may just need cleaning up .

Sponsored Links
the copper pipe that's just visible thru the hole in the cupboard could do with checking out ,may just need cleaning up .

I am not exactly sure what you mean by "checking out" but I have checked around the pipe (the copper one with the green marks on it) and there is no leak is that what you meant?

Thanks to both of you for your advice and based on it we have decided to go new tap and copper fittings only.

IMG-20201103-203627879.jpg

The green stuff may be attacking the copper and needs cleaning up with wire wool ,or similar, to check that any damage is superfluous ,should there actually be any .

I cannot gain access to clean it but have felt the green areas they are not rough like rust would feel more like a green stain on the pipe and it only seems to be where they were soldered, i have blown up the picture to show more detail.

mold.jpg

Probably nothing to worry about ,pics can be decieving. Just ask plumber ,when on site to do tap etc, to take a look.

A closer view.

Thanks, I will ask the plumber to take a look, if he has to replace more pipe better to do it now than have to call one out later to do the same job all over again.

Could you give me a ball park figure for the work to install a new mixer tap excluding the tap itself, thanks.

rust.jpg

£ 87.56p if outside London.
Mayfair £276
Top of Ben Nevis £ 890.89p
As you can see location makes a difference :D:D:D:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back