Flooding and none marked pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So a few rear gardens in our street flood regular for the last 7 years and water does not drain at effective level. I recently moved in to the property (5 months) and have raised with council and the rear boundary property which is a school. Neighbours have lived here 35 years and never had an issue until the school yard was replaced around 15 years ago and ever since every year it gets worse. No drainage us on the plans for rear as all at front which is higher elevated. Water board confirmed no leaks locally. When Neighbours and previous house owners installed a soakaway they discovered a clay pipe which was disregarded as building rubble, with the soakaway failing I have dug down to expose this pipe. We are looking at a 6" clay pipe and I have used drain rods and unblocked 30m. I had to stop as ran out of rods. A lot of air came out through the pooling water in my garden and the direction is into the school. Again no plans for this pipe which is around 800mm below garden. Looking for some advice on this as the school and council taking no responsibility and when I say garden floods it's around 2 foot in places. Thanks

Attachments

• 20240316_142204.jpg
    20240316_142204.jpg
    549.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 20240209_120312.jpg
    20240209_120312.jpg
    495.6 KB · Views: 48
Sponsored Links
We are not 100% sure. The rods seem to go quite straight but this run from the rear of my garden under the school yard.

When you say you rodded it, is the pipe broken?

Or is there an manhole nearby?

Sponsored Links
I'd get a drain CCTV company in to find out what the drain is and where it comes from/goes to.

and never had an issue until the school yard was replaced around 15 years ago and ever since every year it gets worse
It is very likely that the pipe you found is a land drain from your land that runs under the school yard. The contractors who relaid the school yarf did not see the pipe while excavating and as a result it was damaged by them.

The owners of the school yard could possibly be held responsible for the costs of re-instating the drainage of your garden.

Where is all the water coming from? Are you living under a waterfall or is it just clay soil with zero drainage?

Water is just from surrounding area and yes clay soil. It can only drain via the school as this is restricted. Looks like a battle with council etc

Sponsored Links
Back