FloodLight 500W

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and Good Evening
I have some questions and it would be nice for a little help :)

Recently installed a 500W Floodlight connected to a simple socket, it works great, fitted today because my shed got broken into last night.

I want to know how can I fit a switch to it that I can turn the light on/off whenever I want to and for it to function as normal?
Because I presume a switched live would disable the electricty supply running to the sensor light therefore resulting in disabling the light use?...
my sensor light has a 4 chock block inside, I assume it has some sort of overide or something to do with that... Spoon feed me!!

Another question is I am slightly hard of hearing therefore it would be great if I could fit a led to the sensor light and when it comes on it will also light up the led... please tell me this is possible and where I obtain the equipment.
Thank you for reading my topic and any help you provide me with.
Regards Jeff

Sponsored Links
to override the sensor, switch the power off and on within 2-5 seconds, and the light will remain on. most have this function.

Of course, you COULD have wired it with 3+E cable, this would give you the facility to bypass the sensor with a switched live override, but obviously this couldn't be wired straight to a plug top.

And you can probably tap off the sensor live output and lead into an internal light which will then come on with the floodlight, check the PIR switching rating (most are 1000w ish)

i have seen a version in b & q you can plug a unit in, indoors that activates when pir does

Thank you, indeed it does work when you switch it on/off... Did not know about that, lol cheers mate :)

Will have a look at the sensor, see if we can wire up an indoor light to it - Would be good if it works. Anyone that tries to rob me shed, be warned I will jump out of the window and land on your head!

Thanks for helping, been really helpful, all the best ;)

Sponsored Links
quick question: the manual states the unit should not be wired to a ring main, does that meen I cannot run it from inside a socket spur?

I know the difference between which sockets I can run off or not, but not sure about wiring a sensor light to it.

thx alot

ps, no I cant run a external light from the PIR, the manual says it hasnt got this function, so I guess I need a alternative PIR.

morg said:
quick question: the manual states the unit should not be wired to a ring main, does that meen I cannot run it from inside a socket spur?

I think they probably mean that you can't just put a light switch onto a socket ring. This will be because rings are fused at 32Amp and your lamp probably uses less than 3Amp.

In which case an FCU with a 3A cartridge should be fine.

Many people supply them from lighting circuits.

What the instructions should actually say is "the unit should not be wired directly to a ring main"

Wiring it to a FCU fed from a ring circuit is fine.

ahhh silly me, makes sense now because when you use a plug you have a fuse connected to it, therefore you can't wire it straight to a existing socket because no fuse exists on the circuit. (should of woke up before I asked that question, hehe)

thanks guys
if I do wire it into a socket I will run the wires from the existing socket into a FCU, then into my light.

cheers for being helpful

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back