Floodlighting a tree

I did not say he was morally reprehensible for wanting to illuminate a tree.

I did not liken him to a pædophile.

So I'm not sure what your "obvious mocking sarcasm" is supposed to show other than the fact that you are, deliberately or through incompetence, not reading what people have actually written.

Sponsored Links
FGS, can we please stop the constant "you can't do this, you can't do that" that seems to be becoming increasingly commonplace on this forum. If the OP wants to light a tree, that is entirely their choice. There are far worse ways of doing it than using one of the two proposed light sources.
good point.
To the OP, why dont you suggest that they have a large heated gazebo constructed over the entire tree (pref made from wood from a non-sustainable forest) and then install some downlighters over the tree. Depending on the size of the tree, maybe 100 would do. :p
The OP has already pointed out that this will be a waste of money, so why continue to browbeat them?

OP, I'd go with the metal halide. It will provide a better light for this sort of application in terms of colour temperature, and I expect (although this is just personal opinion based on my experience with smaller CFLs) that the lamp will last longer, regardless of what the manufacturer may claim.

btw, sheddy meldrew is 'on one' today, isn't he?
For someone who has a strong understanding of regulations, he seems to display a shockingly poor understanding of people sometimes :confused:

Ok, well i'm sorry if i was telling people what to do? - banging on about not using a certain argument . . . it's just that one does irk me. That's all I was doing.

Sponsored Links
I don't have a problem with an extreme example of a ridiculous scenario in order to illustrate a point of view.

But just sometimes, the topic of that extreme example can affectively be just too unsavoury as to disolour the debate. Although I'm often entertained by BAS's comments, occasionally he forgets that on a DIY forum like this, there is always a 'line' where the 'comfort zone' ends.

BAS sometimes doesn't see this line.

On this occasion I think our friend mikhail 'hit the nail'.

... totally un-necessary comment on a diy electrics forum. May i urge you show show a better grasp of proportionality in your responses and perhaps try to respond in a manner which is not so inflammatory.

Or is that why you do it?

I don't have a problem with an extreme example of a ridiculous scenario in order to illustrate a point of view.

But just sometimes, the topic of that extreme example can affectively be just too unsavoury as to disolour the debate. Although I'm often entertained by BAS's comments, occasionally he forgets that on a DIY forum like this, there is always a 'line' where the 'comfort zone' ends.

BAS sometimes doesn't see this line.
Often people don't think properly when they are bumbling along in their comfort zone.

He can't have been talking to me, not unless he is spectacularly stupid.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1563084#1563084

I think we should let SNM light his tree. At least he has chosen two sensible options for doing so.

If he doesn't do it, and someone else does, there is every chance they'll just install a 1000W halogen instead.

He can't have been talking to me, not unless he is spectacularly stupid.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1563084#1563084[/QUOTE]

I seldom post here, but I actually did laugh-out loud (rather than LOL) at reading that link and it being a response defending (I assume) the ability to "see the line":

Anyway - congratulations on making it into the Softus club of tedious little wasters whose opinions and beliefs I consider to be utterly worthless and irrelevant. I no longer care if you live or die

...seems to me more than a few similarities with Mr Softus, to be honest :D .

The lumens quoted are lamp lumens, not the lumen output you can expect from the floodlights.

The metal halide lamp light source is a compact arc the size of a pea. That makes it much easier to design a floodlight that spreads a beam of light efficiently. The CFL lamp version could not be as efficient. In all probability, the lighting effect of the metal halide version would be much greater than the difference in lamp lumens would lead you to expect.

Thank you Stoday.

I had no idea that was the case. I thought a lumen was the same no matter what the source. :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back