Floodlighting a tree

Sponsored Links
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Perhaps he just means he's being employed to illuminate a tree, and that if he doesn't, he'll loose the work to someone else (rather than the employer realising the error of their wasteful ways and deciding not to get it done).
OK - what do you think his position should be if he was asked to install concealed pinhole cameras in a bathroom so that the customer could spy on his sister-in-law when they came to stay?

[quite obvious mocking sarcasm]
A good point well made, BAS - as he's clearly morally reprehensible (for even considering illuminating a tree for special occasions), his position would undoubtedly be 'If I don't do it someone else will'. It stands to reason. You're quite right to liken him to a paedophile.
[/quite obvious mocking sarcasm]

There - is that what you wanted to hear?

:rolleyes: :(

EDIT: For clarity :rolleyes:

One of my neigbours has a light in his front garden pointed at the house. Its only very dim, but because the house is set back from the road quite far, it does make the house stand out a bit - its a bluey colours, probably an LED flood. Mind, I think he's made of money, because he also has a streetlight sticking out of his house into the side alley.

I installed some SON floodlights in the grounds of a church to light the building at night time. Does that make me a bad person?

@ OP, metal halide is the way forward. Like Lectrician says, there are different coloured lamps available for these fittings, which give some really good effects.

images

Makes you sick doesn't it :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I've got no problem with lighting a tree but i'm afraid I have to agree with bas that the 'if I didn't do it someone else would' argument -for anything- is b***s***. It's the same argument used by many who work for questionable companies (land mine makers, banks, drug/oil companies . . . take your pick) but the reality is that if all those people stood up and said, 'this is b***s*** and against my morals, i'm not going to do it', then those industries would not be able to exist to so easily. It's a total cop-out excuse, just like 'I was just following orders' (said the ss nazi at nuremberg . . .).

Now just to reiterate, I have no problem with lighting a tree or whatever, it's not on the same level at all as examples I and others have made, I just don't respect the 'if I didn't do someone else would' argument which imo is totally flawed.

You know full well that that's an entirely different kettle of fish, and anyone with an ounce of moral judgement would not take on such a job. Fitting a floodlight to illuminate a tree, however, is not particularly controversial.
That latter point may not be true, looking at some of the posts here.

But be that as it may, are you saying that with the bathroom spycam the guy should refuse to do it?

A good point well made, BAS - as he's clearly morally reprehensible (for even considering illuminating a tree for special occasions), his position would undoubtedly be 'If I don't do it someone else will'. It stands to reason. You're quite right to liken him to a paedophile.

There - is that what you wanted to hear?
No, what I wanted to hear was an answer to my question, not a rant against something you have imagined.

I've got no problem with lighting a tree but i'm afraid I have to agree with bas that the 'if I didn't do it someone else would' argument -for anything- is b***s***.

It may be a weak argument in some contexts, but the OP is using it in the context of illuminating a tree FFS!! Not justiying paedophilia, genocide, or any other stupid analogy you can come up with. There are many perfectly legitimate reasons for wanting to illuminate a tree or anything else for that matter. Why must anyone get on a high horse and assume the OP's only doing it because he has no morals or backbone? Self righteous, judgmental c**ks. I can't believe some of the comments on this thread have even been made. No wait - this is the DIYnot electrical forum - I can. :rolleyes: :)

It may be a weak argument in some contexts, but the OP is using it in the context of illuminating a tree FFS!! Not justiying paedophilia, genocide, or any other stupid analogy you can come up with. There are many perfectly legitimate reasons for wanting to illuminate a tree or anything else for that matter. Why must anyone get on a high horse and assume the OP's only doing it because he has no morals or backbone? Self righteous, judgmental c**ks. I can't believe some of the comments on this thread have even been made. No wait - this is the DIYnot electrical forum - I can. :rolleyes: :)

It's always a weak argument. Go ahead and light the tree up, justify it with a 'perfectly legitimate reason', of which I agree there are many. All i'm saying is don't use a rubbish non-argument. You're calling me judgmental but it's you who's throwing the insults around. :rolleyes:

I've got no problem with lighting a tree but i'm afraid I have to agree with bas that the 'if I didn't do it someone else would' argument -for anything- is b***s***.

It may be a weak argument in some contexts,
No - it's a weak argument in all contexts.

but the OP is using it in the context of illuminating a tree FFS!! Not justiying paedophilia, genocide, or any other stupid analogy you can come up with.
How about you stop trying to view straightforward plainly worded questions as analogies and just answer the questions as they are straightforwardly and plainly worded?

Why must anyone get on a high horse and assume the OP's only doing it because he has no morals or backbone?
I don't know.

But as you are the only person who has said that about him:
why don't you tell us?

Self righteous, judgmental c**ks.
But that's yourself you're talking about, because you were the only one who accused the OP of being morally reprehensible and said that it was right to compare him to a pædophile (even though nobody has).

I can't believe some of the comments on this thread have even been made.
You've made the most extreme (by a long way) one of them all.

if I don't do it someone else will.
An argument which is equally true for making and distributing indecent images of children.

whereas that comparsion may, possibly have some merit, its totally un-necessary comment on a diy electrics forum. May i urge you show show a better grasp of proportionality in your responses and perhaps try to respond in a manner which is not so inflammatory.

Or is that why you do it?

But as you are the only person who has said that about him:
why don't you tell us?

Oh for heaven's sake! Didn't think it was needed, but post above edited for clarity :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back