Low Energy Garden Floodlighting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at options for installing a floodlight for the rear garden, mainly so i can see what the dog is upto when hes let out, and to find my way to the garage in the dark.

It would be manually switched, rather than PIR controlled.

The usual approach seems to be to nail a 150W (or 500w if your being silly) halogen floodlight to the side of the house, but i dislike this type of lighting, so i'm hoping someone can give me any suggestions as to alternatives that may work well?

Has anyone had any experience with the likes of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TL3500H.html

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MLFL226.html

Or can you recommend any other products at a similar pricepoint?

Cheers
Kev

Sponsored Links
I have the first one. It's probably not quite as bright as an equivalent 150W halogen bulb, but costs a quarter the amount to run. Also the light has a slightly blue tint (I'd prefer a yellowy bulb).

The PIR on it works well, you can adjust the sensitivity and timer.

Thanks. I figured that they'd over exaggerate the "equivalent to" claims, as they always seem to do with CFL's!

How do these type of lamps handle the cold?

Thanks. I figured that they'd over exaggerate the "equivalent to" claims, as they always seem to do with CFL's!

How do these type of lamps handle the cold?

I've only had it on for about a month, and in the sunny South East we haven't had many really cold days so far :LOL: The light "warms up" to full brightness within about 5-10 seconds or so.

I replaced the light within my freezer with a CFL a few years ago as it was all I had to hand when the filament blew in my old bulb, and that's been going strong ever since, despite the constant subzero temperatures

Sponsored Links
i have 2 normal le bulbs in my out outside lights and they work fine for several years now

multiply by 4 to get the correct comparison so 38w=152w as digger says

how are you supplying (installing the cable to) the lamp, where is the switch, will you be burying any cables?

ban-all-sheds: Haha, its more if i need to go out to the garage or garden at night that would pose an issue, but your spot on, i dont want to step in anything!

17thman: It would be mounted on the external wall of the house, immediately above the patio doors. I planned to run some Hi-Tuf thru the edge of the UPVC frame of the patio and into the back of the fitting, then to a Fused/Switched connection unit beside the door. Power would be sourced from the ring main.

Does this seem acceptable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back