Floor boards on top of floor boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We want have painted floor boards in our bathroom but the existing ones are too gappy.

Is it feasable to fit new floor boards straight on top of the existing ones? If so should there be gaps between each one to allow for expansion seeing as this room will become moist frequently? If so, how big should the gaps be? and can they be filled with a flexible sealant?

or should the gaps be just around the edges like with laminate flooring?

Also can they just be screwed straight onto the existing ones or is it a more complicated process?

In my head this is a really simple job! I'm sure I'll be told otherwise :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
do you intend using a hard wood with a tight grain or regular pine?

what sort of finish do you hope to acheive with the floor?

We want to use Pine (budget restrictions :cry: ) and painted with many coats of eggshell which is what we've used throughout the 1st floor. It seems very durable.

Sponsored Links
ok i would'nt recomend floor on floor

to do it properly would require laying at right angles for stability and to even out any discrepancys
accsess under the floor would be impossible with 2 layers at right angles

why dont you lift the present floor tighten the boards together then sand!!!

accsess under the floor would be impossible with 2 layers at right angles

I did think that but then I thought tiling the floor would result in the same problem. Once a tiled floor is down access would be totally impossible too.

I hadn't thought about just pulling up the existing ones and fixing them tighter :rolleyes: That's seems a much more simple option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back