Floor Boards over concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of laying T&G wooden floorboards over my concrete living room floor.

The few questions I have are:-

What size battens would i need as the "joists"?

What options for soundproofing are there?

Am I right in thinking each floorboard is nailed to each joist and glued to each other?

Is a membrane needed?

Thanks in advance

;)

Sponsored Links
In the absence of any other advice, I'll give it a bash. Bear with me.
I've laid a new concrete floor in my extension. Insulated -to regs- below concrete, and laid the lot on a visqueen sheet. I've then put a laminate floor down. The manufacturers recommend another visqueen sheet on top of the concrete first. Then, I put the large felt-type insulation tiles down, as recommended for concrete floors.
Why am I telling you this?
If you wanted to put T&G down, you'd need to screw, I'd guess, 2 x 2 battens to the floor, which would accept 2/12" lost-head nails. The concrete should already be laid on top of said visqueen.
Unless... as with the other floors in my house, there is a surface layer of damp-proofing, which is similar to a thick, hard layer of bonfire toffee and cracks very easily. If you drill through this you're breaking the damp protection. If you put down visqueen and drill through it, you're breaking both damp protections. (Not my words, those of the building inspector) I said I'd put mastic over the top of each hole I drilled and then put battens on, which he agreed to.
Then, I thought about the height of the new floor. It would be about 2 3/4" inches heigher than the adjoining doorways. Bit of a dangerous step there!
In the end, I opted for the laminate. Much easier, lower, and no need for hundreds of nails or a step-ladder.
I don't see why you'd need to soundproof on top of the concrete floor?
Insulation wise - if you still went for the T&G - you can get sheets of 2" expanded polystyrene that cut with a knife to slot between the battens.
I don't see the need for gluing the boards, as the screws and nails will ensure they go nowhere. You'll not find any other T&G glued. Are you getting mixed up with the T&G type laminated flooring? You glue that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back