Floor down time to stain/oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi thank you for the advise I have been given and also that others have been given which was great help to me laying my floor that looks superb.

I am now on the last leg of finishing the floor off now and would like to know what is the best stuff to treat my floor oil/wax is the first question? Both :?:
I have read through a few sites and have been told about using a company Fiddes & Sons www.fides.co.uk We are looking f...ain ty for the help and good advise Steve

Sponsored Links
Don't know that company, but I would recommend applying hardwaxoil to your floor: brings out the character much more, is easier to apply than wax (on unfinished floors you will have to apply 5 to 6 layers of wax before it's fully protected), and comes in many colours

Just one question before you proceed with a Hardwax Oil, what type of timber is your floor? Hardwax Oil is not suitable for certain dark, dense timbers and can lead to disastrous results.

woodfinishes1877

Many tropical woods are indeed 'oily' of their own and when applying hardwaxoil you should take care to apply it as thinly as possible and allow longer drying times.

Even with Oak - like acclaim has - etc, don't apply it too thick: the oil will be restricted to penetrate the wood because of the amount of wax on the surface. So, always, always read the instructions.

Sponsored Links
In my opinion Hardwax Oil can sometimes be more trouble than its worth, there is a lot of small print to read and users have to be very careful in applying thin coats.

Based on chemical tests that we have carried out, the product is not nearly as durable as conventional floor finishes such as Polyurethane or Water Based finishes.

We have developed a waterbased product that comes in a matt finish, has low solids, and gives far better durability and protection than its Hardwax counterparts. It also has a bit of colour to match the oiled effect.

I am not here to advertise so will not give its name unless specifically asked but I feel very strongly that Hardwax Oils are not all they are cracked up to be.

It is just my opinion.

woodfinishes1877

Everybody is entitled to his opinion, no problem with that at all.

We use hardwaxoil frequently ourselves, teach our DIY-clients how to use it properly and when and why it's not suitable in their specific circumstances. It is a wonderful, good, long-lasting and durable finish when applied properly and maintained in the right way.

Thank you can you recommend where i can but these products from i live in hampshishe/fareham
Someone has 2 :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back