floor first or doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

hope someone has a few words of wisdom for me

the plan is to split my open-plan sitting/dining area(L-shaped) into two seperate rooms, divided by a new timber stud partition with half-glazed double doors between. I would also like to lay a new hardwood solid or engineered floor throughout this area.

my musings are thus : which comes first, the partition or the floor ??

i realise i could prob. do it either way. I am thinking it might be easier to lay the floor first and have it run seamlessly through the opening without a saddle-board, but this will create its own problems, like protecting the floor while a partition is built on top and plastered. coule there also be a problem caused by fixing the stud work through the new floor. ??

any thoughts from people who have undertaken similar projects would be most welcome. thanks in advance.

also the existing floor is a suspended t&g timber floor.

Sponsored Links
If you are fitting a 'floating floor' like engineered or laminate flooring, you can't fix the partition to the floor as there is a liklihood the whole thing will move with the floor.

Partition and then fit the floor.

yeah dave i see what u mean . the partition would be fixed right through the new floor into the ex boards, or joists so no worry of it moving.
it might however interfere with the floors need for movement. i dont know if this would create a problem as it would still have its cork strips or whatever around all the room edges , under the skirtings.

but i am certainly no carpenter and it might be easier to break the floor into two sections.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back