Floor for new kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently renovated an old single storey extension at the back of my house and now intend using it as a kitchen.

The floor presently is a concrete slab, no sign of damp but do not know if there is a DPM built in. There is also a manhole in there, which will be changed to a double seal type. Area is 18 square metres and is a "L" shape.

What I am looking to do is lay a DPM with 30mm Celotex as insulation over it. The final floor surface will be tiles.

But I am wondering what to lay over the Celotex.

1. tongue & groove flooring grade boards (chipboard or ply) as a floating floor. Would this be suitable for a kitchen with the chance of spills and the weight of kitchen units?

or

2. Lay a 60mm screed. Would this be strong enough for kitchen units?

A couple of central heating pipes will also have to go across the floor as well as the manhole cover.

Either of these options would mean a step between this room and the adjoining room.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back