Floor height change in front of door threshold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Thanks in advance for your shared wisdom.

I'm preparing to lay a new floor in my hallway and have a small problem area where the floor level changes between rooms.

Usually this wouldn't be an issue as I'd fit a ramped threshold, however as the picture indicates the level change is in front of the utility room door with the eye offending consequence of the utility room flooring being visible with the door closed. Its like an unwelcome amuse-bouche giving you a distasteful hint of the ugly vinyl within...

unfortunately this is inherited problem came with the house and its now time to sort it out. How would the experienced floor layers and problem solvers amongst us approach this?

I'm laying engineered oak T&G parquet, and no, i'm not pouring a SL screed.

Cheers!

Razz.

20230107_125826.jpg

Sponsored Links
My first instinct is to cut back the floor, so it finishes under the door.
What are both floors, (hall and utility room), composed of?

Hi Conny,

Thanks for your response.

Sorry - i should have said! Hallway is original pine board and utility (extension) is concrete/screed. Maybe ~8mm height difference.

R

In that case I would drill a series of close holes across the concrete threshold, and along each side of the door frame, to depth a little below your current hall level. Then using a bolster/cold chisel chop out the concrete so it is below the level of the hall floor. You could then pour some 'self-levelling compound and smooth over to the same height as the hall level. Allow to fully set and then fit your new floor.

Sponsored Links
Cheers, Conny,

That's certainly within my abilities; I've got an SDS, (4.5" grinder to tidy up edges) and a bag of SL in the garage too.

Out of interest, where would you cut back to? Midway across the jamb?

R

Under the centre of where the door is so you don't see either floor from the opposite room.
Any jointing strip will be hidden when the door is closed.

I know, I know.

The thing is there is so much going on under that hallway floor that I'm really reluctant to pour SL if I can avoid it...and I think it's in an acceptable condition as is.

It's less than 1m wide and fairly level - a test lay of the parquet is pretty solid underfoot save for one or two areas which I can locally sort by nailing.

I laid my living room with larger engineered oak on the same sub base two years ago and it's been great, albeit that was floating not glued.

20230107_183002.jpg
20230108_154935.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back