Floor insulation - AIRTEC foil gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to insulate under my suspended floor and thinking of doing the following:
  • Breathable membrane stapled to underside of joists to prevent wind wash
  • 100mm PIR board. Gaps sealed with foam/tape
  • Over the joists/PIR, YBS AIRTEC REFLECTIVE double foil as (admittedly expensive) vapour control layer
  • Floor boards, underlay, carpet
YBS will help insulate if there is an air gap. For this reason I was thinking rather than having the PIR boards flush with the top of the joists, dropping them slightly to leave a 15mm gap between them and the foil. Has anyone done this, does this sound sensible?

Sponsored Links
There’s a lot of differing opinions on using membranes on here:cautious:

I used rock wool, full depth of joist. With a building paper on top, then floorboards.

If I was using foam boards, I’d leave no gap, and bring to the top of the joists.

Thanks. I think keeping it flush we the the joints is best. I have some spare rock wool which I might fill the 20mm gap between the PIR board and the breathable membrane. Probably a bit pointless, but every little helps I guess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back