Floor insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have recently replaced all the floor boards on the first floor of our house, and have now ripped down an old plasterboard ceiling in the kitchen underneath, This is to be replaced with a new plasterboard ceiling and recessed halogen spotlights. The original kitchen ceiling was old plasterboard type material and very thin wooden strips around an inch wide, attached to the joists. On top of this was some insecure wooden battons and then very light weight tongue and groove wood panelling. The old wooden floor was draughty and let a lot of noise in from the kitchen below.

Once the new plasterboard ceiling is in place, I expect the noise level to be reduced along with the draught problems. My query is, would it be worth me popping insulation between the joists (keeping it in with wire mesh) before fitting the new ceiling?

Does anyone have any experience doing this and is it worth it? (I know the question is a bit subjective). Does fitting the insulation have a noticeable improvement in sound levels through the floor, and does anyone recommend a particular type of insulation to use? I guess the glass fibre loft insulation is lightest but do not look forward to inhaling the fibres or itching. Would the solid block type insulation be better or polystyrene sheeting?

Sponsored Links
loft type insulation is best- dense as possible (isowool?) to get 10kg/m3 + - rigid boards are less effective and more prone too transmitting sound rather than muffling it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back