Floor paint for workshop - to hide inperfections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a floor I want to paint to hide some imperfections and pin holing.

It doesn't need to be perfect - though I did go and get some floor paint from the local industrial supplies and it seems to have just highlighted everything. 90% it's polyurethane will have to check.

I've done a few coats so far (4), and if anything it seems to make the pin holes worse, or at least stand out more.

Any suggestions? Or should I go and find a harder paint like the epoxy resins? Considering it would probably have to go on top of this paint though...

IMG_20210329_094151.jpg

Sponsored Links
Why do you just fill the pin holes, quick sand off, and carry on with the paint you already have?

Why do you just fill the pin holes, quick sand off, and carry on with the paint you already have?

Fill with what? If I hadn't have painted it already I would have assumed a bit of filler or so - but as its painted i'm not sure. There is also a lot of them!

Sponsored Links
Looks like air bubbles in the paint that are popping.

There were pin holes in the surface below. I had hoped the paint would have been thick enough to cover it up.

are you using a roller?

Yes - I was using a woven roller and when the paint was thinned was causing some on bubbles the surface, so changed to a foam roller which is much better. Though without thinning the paint it rolled on well enough.

I would probably bung in some 2 part wood filler, although I expect there is something better.

If you use filler, scrape off all excess immediately, so the filler is only in the hole.

You DO NOT want to mess about sanding loads of excess off - you will not not like it.

I actually have some 2 part wood filler on order, so will give that a try.

I had started on this though people may not have realised this is all over ~26m2 and not just a bad batch.

I'm going to look at putting a fresh layer of self levelling down (with a spiked roller) - hopefully will raise the low end of the workshop at the same time.

Will the PU paint need to be taken off before the new layers of self levelling go down?

Edit: Moved this specific question to the flooring sub here https://www.diynot.com/diy/forums/floors-stairs-lofts/?order=post_date

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back