floor problem in shed and best solution

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a shed which i always look after every year it has has a new coating of stain and i replaced the roof last year, yesterday i noticed that a strip of flooring about 7-8inches is rotted away, you can basically put your finger through it, as the the shed sits on the wooden flooring which is basically chip board i was just wondeing what is the best way of fixing the problem?

Sponsored Links
Taking it down and replacing the floor is the only real option I'm afraid.
Reform the base using tanalised 2x2's or 3x2's and ply and treat the underside of the ply. Then make sure the base is lifted off the ground to give you some airflow underneath and reassemble the shed.

As LL says, you need to get the shed off the ground to give air circulation. You could get somebody to help you lift the shed whilst you slide the 2x 2 timbers in place. You could then cut out the damaged area and insert a new piece of wood or just screw some timber over the damaged area. Long term though, you would be better off replacing the floor with a marine ply because inevitably the chip board will absorb moisture and continue to perish.

what ever you do
as said above have ventilation if possible [fairly essential]
no wood should be in contact with the ground[very essential]
what ever you use make sure there is a layer off felt or dpc between the floor and bearers

and do not use chipboard any where outside regardless off type

Sponsored Links
The shed actually sits on a concrete base with 2"x2" beams holding the main flooring off the base, the problem i have found is that on one side there is a strip of ground which over the years has gone above those beams stopping any breathing of that side of the shed. what i will need to do is dig it clear let it breath for a few weeks, then cut the affending rotton floor out working out where the beams are and replace and seal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back