Floor sanding and polyurethane varnish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to get 2 rooms sanded (each 14 by 15ft). I've had a quote for:
£400 sand only
£550 sand and varnish with polyurethane (3 coats).

The floors are original oak from 1880 and have mild stiletto marks and rasing of boards in cetre, so I'd presume a standard sand.

Is this price reasonble for South London (Croydon). I've found polyurethane varnish for £30 a gallon at Toolstaton, so how long would it be likely to take to do 2 coats with a sponge myself?

Sponsored Links
Once sanded a small room only takes 20 minutes to lacquer, once you have sorted an applicator (I would suggest a medium pile roller not a sponge).
When dry, 1-3 hours depending upon the product, you would then need to remove any grain raising with a light abrasive paper by hand, remove dust then put a second, then third coat down. One day easy most of it watching the lacquer dry!

Is this the varnish you are looking at? http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pai...ethane+Varnish+Satin+5+Ltr/d150/sd3006/p17605

My worry there are the hazard labels which modern lacquers should not have. I personally use Bona Mega, WoodYouLike on this site prefers Lecol lacquer. Neither have those hazard labels and are easy to source across the country.

Hope this helps

We prefer oil ;)

My worry would be: can you as DIY-er apply any varnish/lacquer as well as a professional?
£ 150.00 difference in price for the varnish and application of it is IMHO not worth the risk of ending up with not so perfect end-result. Applying varnish/lacquer is not the easiest of jobs, plus in the event there are sanding errors you might end up with a endless discussion between the professional sander and DIY-er: your fault, no yours ;)

Thanks folks for the advice. I agree that it would be easy for me to mess up and I'm also put off as it's a pretty noisy & dirty job.

What do you think of the price - 2 14 by 14 foot rooms sanded and varnished for £550 cash. The guy said 2 of them would do it within a day and I'm wondering if I've got a "clueless girly" price ;)

Sponsored Links
No, price sounds reasonable (don't forget they have to use professional equipment that comes with its own price ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back