Floor Screed over a Cavity ? (New French Doors replacing Cavity Wall)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Background: Old Cavity wall (which had a single door in it), has been removed, ready for fitting new wide french doors. The brick course where the door cill+frame will go has had to be "shaved" by 15mm, to allow the frame to fit (after helpful advice on here).

[Note - on the photo, the bricks look messy, but thats just because the diamond cutter could only go so far. I bolstered the rest, roughly, and will use angle grinder with stone attachment to smooth them off).

The "issue" is that I need to extend the footprint of the floor screed so it comes out to meet the door frame. I am aware that it's important to keep the cavity there, so I can't just go pouring concrete into the cavity (I don't think). My question is, how can the screed be "supported". Basically it will need to extend over the cavity (which is fresh air), so ... whats the best method to do this, and give it the strength it needs ?

NOTE - the shaved bricks are 15mm lower than the inner blocks.

I had (originally) toyed with the idea of a cavity closer, but I don't think that would be strong enough, as it's just plastic. (Also - now the bricks are shaved, it would tilt downward slightly at the door .

Many thanks in anticipation
Screed1.jpg
screed2.jpg
Screed3.jpg

Sponsored Links
Remove the masonry (both leaves) to 225mm below floor level. Line the trough with polythene. Fit insulation and fill with concrete to underside of screed level. Screed over the lot.

You may still get differential cracking, but there's not a lot you can do to mitigate that unless you go unfeasibly deep.

Remove the masonry (both leaves) to 225mm below floor level. Line the trough with polythene. Fit insulation and fill with concrete to underside of screed level. Screed over the lot.

You may still get differential cracking, but there's not a lot you can do to mitigate that unless you go unfeasibly deep.
Thanks for the reply. So, just so I'm clear, you are saying take out the blocks and bricks down to 225 below floor ? - Wish I'd never opted for French doors now - quite a lot of work !.

Thanks for the reply. So, just so I'm clear, you are saying take out the blocks and bricks down to 225 below floor ? - Wish I'd never opted for French doors now - quite a lot of work !.
Sorry mate - I thought you were building an extension!

Sponsored Links
With existing screed, your only option is to line cavity with DPM, and fill with concrete.

there will be differential movement at the day joint with the screed. If you are tiling you need to use ditra mat to isolate substrate from tile.

Just take the blocks out and do as I said before. Leave the bricks.(y)

No it already exists (snince 1983) , so I'm just wondering how to screed over the existing cavity (which is currently fresh air).

No it already exists (snince 1983) , so I'm just wondering how to screed over the existing cavity (which is currently fresh air).
Do as I said and ignore the outer leaf. You can't avoid removing the blocks. They are now defunct and a nuisance and will cause differential cracking if they remain. Make sure the polythene laps up the outer masonry.

Do as I said and ignore the outer leaf. You can't avoid removing the blocks. They are now defunct and a nuisance and will cause differential cracking if they remain. Make sure the polythene laps up the outer masonry.
Thanks mate. Wish I'd know this before I started. Seen videos online where people were using a cavity closer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back