Floor 'sinking'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Old terraced house. Near window in back room (solid floor) floor has sunk slightly. On inspection carpet has been laid on top of tiles which appear to have been laid on soil.
Would it be acceptable to use a levelling compound on the section that has dropped or do I need to remove tiles and use levelling compound/concrete for whole room.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why not ask the mods to move this post to the building forum?

It wasn't unusual for tiles to be laid on soil in older properties.
Are there any damp signs on the carpet or skirtings or lower wall plaster?
Is there a gap below the skirtings?
If you posted pics of the floor with the carpet drawn back it would help?

As for remedies the options depend on how bad things are, and your budget.
Typically, when we meet this kind of situation at work we dig out the floor, and usually pour an insulated concrete slab on a Damp Membrane

Thanks for reply. Yes there was a gap between carpet and skirting and yes the lower wall has signs of damp.
I will get someone in but keen to keep cost down. I'll probably remove tiles myself. Would I need to go much lower ?

Typically, when we meet this kind of situation at work we dig out the floor, and usually pour an insulated concrete slab on a Damp Membrane
Which would be the typically wrong thing to do. Lets assume you have stone or solid walls with no dpc, which is most likely given the situation with the floor. Then a well ventilated ,insulated , suspended timber floor would be more in keeping with the age and style of the property and be more likely to help rather than exacerbate your rising damp issues with the installation of a concrete slab .
Any change of structure to the floor is notifiable to building control.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Yes, you could definitely remove the tiles, & all around the room skirting board.
Thresholds might cause you difficulties - likewise cables and any pipes.
Ground level outside should be lower than your inside FFL.
Digging out is doable but pics & more info needed before advising you further.

The tiles had been up for inspection so gap looks a little worse than it was.
Would concreting the sagging area and then laying some kind of insulation over the whole floor be an option ?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20220127_141657.jpg
    IMG_20220127_141657.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20220127_142152.jpg
    IMG_20220127_142152.jpg
    392.8 KB · Views: 103
It's probably not just soil - more likely sand/cinders over ground. It has certainly dropped. I think it depends what your plans are for the house. It really needs taking out and rebuilding, as has been said, insulated concrete slab is certainly an option. Unless you're looking for a quick bodge, get it dug out. It would be good to work out why it has dropped too, because there will be a reason.

That's how old terraces are.

You can either repair it and forget it, or rip the whole floor up and put a modern one in.

Bear in mind that those old quarry tiles are the damp prevention layer

bluesteve52,

Thanks for the pics.
I'll advise you how to do a proper job, and you can use the advice to do a full job or take what you need from it?

1. You have damp in the wall.
2. Remove the skirting.
3. Knock off the plaster along the wall to 300mm above the last signs of damp.
4. Render back up with a 3:1 sand & lime mix render - dont use gypsum plaster.

5. Remove the doors and thresholds.
6. Open up the top surface of the floor.
7. Dig down deep enough to allow for Insulation, a membrane wrapped 125 - 150mm of concrete, & whatever will cover, eg tile, the finished surface.
8. Your FFL should be level with both adjacent rooms.

Search outside for any factors such as gutters, gullies, various pipework, & cracked or bulging brickwork or render etc that might have had a hand in why your floor slumped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back