Floor slab concrete before tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Background: My house hallway is being renovated. I have removed a layer of original victorian tiles (unfortunately heavily damaged) and now revealed the original Yorkshire Stone slabs - see image.

//media.diynot.com/40000_39785_64107_45841523_thumb.jpg

I intend to lay a replica victorian floor but first must get the floor ready.

Questions:

- If i remove the Yorkshire stone floor what must I do to prepare it for the tiles? Dig down? Damp proof? Hardcore? Concrete? Screed? What should i use?

- Or is it possible to screed directly over the stone floor and lay tiles on top? Possible cracking later on?

Any help much appreciated.

Olly

Sponsored Links
It depends what you want to achieve.

As long as the sub-floor is sound and there is enough depth for a membrane and a decent thickness of screed then it will be ok.

However, do you want to insulate the floor? Are there any signs that the floor has sunk? Any hollow spots?

Hi, cheers for the reply.

The floor has some visible subsidence which looks like it occurred a long time ago - the house is 200 years old. I think i might have to add a damproof layer and some insolation to be on the safe side.

If i do remove the stone flags it will be earth underneath. I'm guessing i'll have to dig down, lay compacted hardcore, then some sand, then a damproof layer, then alittle more sane and then a concrete screed. Is that correct?

Also, the flooring is 15m2 total area so:

How far do i need to dig down?
How much hardcore should i buy to fill the hole?
Where can i buy it from?

Appreciate any help you make have,

Cheers Olly

Sponsored Links
Yes 15mm of screed all over would work. I'm thinking about removing the Slabs though now as I believe they are worth rather a lot on money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back