floor standing combi boilers

Hi,

Basically you will struggle to find a boiler which can use the chimney you have now. Depending on your chimney, you may have a change in directon which would make fitting a new metal flue into the chimney awkward, plus reg's state the flue should be visable for routine inspection along its entire length, so without knocking holes in the chimney brest, it sounds complicated.

Condensing boilers can't use a conventional flexible flue liner, although there are a few available for the odd manufacturer, halstead being one I think :(

If you keep the boiler in the existing place, a vertical flue would more than likely have to be run surface and on show rather than in the chimney like before.

Moving the boiler position sounds like the most viable option from what you have described, as it means you get a choice in which make/model you have rather than being restricted by flue options. Pipework is altered a lot easier than flue routing.

HTH Sam

Sponsored Links
If your cylinder is upstairs and the loftspace above and you are going to fit a combi then when you remove the cylinder is it possible to fit the boiler in it's place and go vertical to the loftspace with the flue?

Halstead / dimplex either do (or useto ?) manufacture a boiler I think it was called the Eden that use's a special flexible flue liner , for use with existing chimney's , I believe they came in combi or heat only versions ??
ther e is also a company , who's name escapes me , that supposedly ?? manufacture a condensing boiler flue liner , suitable for most application's . I think ??????

Sponsored Links
Hi Sam

Oh dear, thats not what I hoped to hear!!

The boiler is in a full height cupboard with the old flue going through at 45deg to what was originally the outside wall. However an 2 storey extension has been added which now encloses the flue. A further extension (kitchen) to the rear of the boiler cupboard further encloses the old boiler.

"Pipework is altered a lot easier than flue routing." OK, but you have to see the pipe runs, flooring options - all of which make moving the boiler difficult and expensive - hence the need to try and replace the boiler in situ.

I have another engineer coming tomorrow and another on Friday- I will have to wait and see what their advice is.

Many thanks
Roger

OK I have been recommended a Worceter Bosch FS 420CDi which can use a flexible flue using the current chimney. Flue length is 12 m so will reach the height we need. This combination means we can replace old boiler with new in the same location without any disruption or rerouting of pipes.

Does anyone have any experience knowledge of this combination?

OK I have been recommended a Worcester Bosch FS 420CDi which can use a flexible flue using the current chimney.
A 42kW boiler in a 3 bed semi seems to be overkill. Did the person who recommended it base it on the existing boiler?

I suggest you use Sedbuk Boiler Calculator or EST online boiler calculator to find out what size boiler you really need. You will probably find you only need the FS30CDi.

For info, the height measurement is the room height, floor to ceiling.
A semi has only three external walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back